Southeast University (Bangladesh)
- This is about the university in Bangladesh. For the university in China, see Southeast University.
- For other universities with a similar name, see Southeast University (disambiguation).
|Motto||"Making the Leaders for tomorrow and creating the valued personality for the nation"|
|Chancellor||President Abdul Hamid|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Dr. Anwar Hossain|
|Affiliations||University Grants Commission Bangladesh|
Southeast University (Bengali: সাউথ ইস্ট বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) or SEU is a private university in Banani, Dhaka, Bangladesh. The University was established under the Private University Act, 1992 approved by the Government of the People's Republic of Bangladesh. It's permanent campus is in 251/A & 252, Tejgaon Industrial Area, Dhaka-1208, Bangladesh.
History and administration
Southeast University (SEU) was established in June 2002 as a private university under the Private University Act 1992. The president of Bangladesh is the chancellor.
The goal of the university is to provide excellent modern education for students with a view to equipping them with the skill and knowledge to lead the country in its quest for development. Along with this, the university aims at producing students of high moral standard. SEU has the authority, under its charter, to provide instruction to confer undergraduate and post graduate degrees. It has plans to offer MPhil. and PhD programs in all branches of higher studies including engineering, agriculture, law and medical sciences. It has also the authority to grant diplomas, certificates and other academic distinctions. It has the authority to open new schools of studies and new institutions in its own campus.
The university is run by a number of statutory bodies as required under the provisions of the Private University Act, 1992.
South East University offers the following undergraduate and post graduate programs and diploma courses:
- School of Science
- Bachelor of Science in Architecture
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science & Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Electronic and Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Textile Engineering
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- MSc in Medical & Radiation Physics
- School of Business Studies
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration (Regular)
- Master of Business Administration (Executive)
- Master of Business Administration (only for BBA students)
- School of Arts and Social Science
- 1 year Master of Laws: 1 year LL.M
- 2 year Master of Laws: 2 year LL.M
- 4 year Bachelor of Laws: LL.B(Hons)
- 2 year Bachelor of Laws: LL.B(Pass)
- Bachelor of English (Hons)
- Bachelor of Arts in Islamic Studies
- Master of Arts in Islamic Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Bangla Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Economics Studies
- Master of Development Studies
- Diploma courses
- Diploma in Communicative English
- Postgraduate Diploma in World Trade Organization
The distance education programs were discontinued to be compliant with the directives of Bangladesh Ministry of Education.
Academic programs of Southeast University are based on credit system. Each academic program has a requisite number of credits to complete the degree. One credit hour indicates one lecture hour of study per week for a semester. Usually, a course is of three credit hours.
Southeast University has a policy for financial assistance for poor but meritorious students. Accommodation facilities are available for women students at a reasonable cost. The university has also an experienced physician for students' health care. Labs & Hostel Facilities for Students
- Five Computer Labs
- One Digital Lab, Three Labs for Cyber Corner (Internet facilities)
- One rich Pharmacy Lab for Pharmacy Department
- Eight Ladies' Hostels
- Debating Club
- Cultural Club
- Welfare Club
- Drama Club
Southeast University is linked with journal publishers through an international organisation named INASP/PERii. Bangladesh Academy of Sciences (BAS) is acting as the coordinating body. This facility is IP based and work only within SEU campus. The SEU library offers regular services such as circulation, reference, counseling, indexing, bibliographical documentation, back up services, retrospective searches etc.
Southeast University has a library equipped with books on the academic programs offered as well as on research and extracurricular activities. The total collection of books and journals at is about 15000. The space area of the library is 6,500 square feet (600 m2). It is a central library of the university rendering services to the students and faculty.
There is a Library Committee to formulate policies and increase the modern facilities for users. There is a reading corner for teachers. It has a cyber corner which helps students and teachers to have the latest information and references through the Internet. The library is using open-source Integrated Library System (ILS) called KOHA. The URL of Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC)of SEU Library is library.seu.ac.bd. SEU Library is situated at House 1, Road 17, Block C, Bir Uttam Aminul Haque Sarak, Banani, Dhaka 1213. Contact +88028838013, ext. 101.
Southeast University has arrangement of co-curricular activities for its students. With regular studies the university encourages students to undertake co-curricular activities to promote their physical, social and cultural progress. SEU students participate in voluntary blood donation program twice a year to create awareness among students.
Southeast University Computer club arranges IT and Computer Networking related workshop and seminar. SEU cricket team takes part in Inter Private University Cricket Tournament Championship. Southeast University organizes rallies for the creation of social awareness of problems such as anti-drug and smoking etc.
The university arranges regional warm-up contest, National Mathematics Olympiad, National Computer Programming Contest and such other events like seminar and workshop for important social and economical issues that has great impact on life. For refreshment and gaining practical knowledge, the university also arranges picnic and study tour.