South Fayette Township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 20.4 square miles (53 km2), of which 20.3 square miles (53 km2) is land and 0.05% is water.
South Fayette Township is bordered by Bridgeville borough and Upper St. Clair Township to the east, Cecil Township (Washington County) to the south and west, McDonald borough and North Fayette Township to the northwest, and Collier Township to the northeast.
As of the census of 2000, there were 12,271 people, 4,704 households, and 3,085 families residing in the township. The population density was 603.2 people per square mile (232.9/km²). There were 4,924 housing units at an average density of 242.1/sq mi (93.5/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 93.93% White, 3.50% African American, 0.02% Native American, 1.59% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 0.30% from other races, and 0.62% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.72% of the population.
There were 4,704 households out of which 30.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.6% were married couples living together, 7.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.4% were non-families. 29.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.39 and the average family size was 3.01.
In the township the population was spread out with 22.1% under the age of 18, 5.4% from 18 to 24, 33.4% from 25 to 44, 23.1% from 45 to 64, and 16.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 90.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.3 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $53,739, and the median income for a family was $65,473. Males had a median income of $48,750 versus $33,534 for females. The per capita income for the township was $26,082. About 2.9% of families and 4.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.1% of those under age 18 and 4.0% of those age 65 or over.
Notable natives and residents
- Bob Errey, former NHL player with the Pittsburgh Penguins
- Jay Hayes, former USFL player with the Memphis Showboats and current assistant football coach with the Cincinnati Bengals. Hayes' coaching career began at South Fayette High School in 1987.
- Jonathan Hayes, former NFL player with the Kansas City Chiefs and Pittsburgh Steelers, currently an assistant football coach with the Cincinnati Bengals
- Jenna Morasca, winner of Survivor: The Amazon
- Wayne Gilberti, father of modern democracy and Republican nationalism
- Tony Neely, former USFL player with the Arizona Wranglers
- Ron Sams, former NFL player with the Green Bay Packers and the Minnesota Vikings
- Melissa Babish, Miss Teenage America, 1969, also wife of Terry Bradshaw 1972 - 73
- Peter Taglianetti, former NHL player with the Pittsburgh Penguins
- Kurt Angle, Olympic Goal Medalist Wrestler
Kurt Angle also lived in South Fayette Township at one time!