South Gate High School
|South Gate High School (Sasha owns)|
|3351 Firestone Boulevard
South Gate, CA 90280
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Los Angeles Unified School District|
|Faculty||138.8 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||3,383 (as of 2008-09)|
|Student to teacher ratio||26.8|
|Athletics conference||Eastern League
CIFLA Los Angeles City Section
|Rival||South East High School|
South Gate High School is located on Firestone Boulevard, South Gate, California, United States. The school, which serves grades 9 through 12, is part of the Los Angeles Unified School District. South Gate's school colors are black, white and red and the school mascot is the ram.
South Gate High School opened in January 1930.
Between 1993 and 1996 the number of students that passed Advanced Placement tests in government and macroeconomics subjects increased from 5% to 70%. The teaching of Ron Klein has been credited for this improvement.
Students from this, and neighbouring schools, demonstrated on June 26, 2002 against funding cuts. At South Gate High, nine teachers had been fired and the Second School Program, which provided students who are falling behind with tutoring from university students, had all funding removed.
On November 3, 2005, about 500 students took part in a sit-in to protest at issues including overcrowding and a lack of textbooks.
As of the school year 2008-09, there were a total of 3,383 students attending the high school.
- 98.8% Hispanic (3,343)
- 0.4% White (14)
- 0.3% Black (15)
- 0.3% Native American (9)
- 0.2% Asian (4)
- 0.1% Pacific Islander (3)
- Marching Band
- Cross Country
- Track and Field
- Color Guard
- Football - 1955 and 1988 3A City Champions
- Football - 2004 3A City Finalist.
- Football - Benjamin Viramontes - State Sack Leader with 34 in 2004
- Football - 1994 undefeated South East conference champions. Beat rival bell to preserve undefeated record. Ronnie Landazuri breaks up pass in final moments: http://articles.latimes.com/1994-10-30/news/ci-56728_1_south-gate-high
- Soccer - 2005 City Champions
- Baseball - 1995 3A City Champions
- Volleyball - 2011 Girls Undefeated Eastern League Champions
- Track & Field- 2008 Undefeated Eastern League Champions
- Cross Country- 2007 Undefeated Eastern League Champions
- Academic Decathlon
- Policy Debate Club
- Anime Club
- Key Club
- Speech Club
- Philosophy Club
- Interact Club
- Dance Club-DG*SG
- Hiking Club
- Ram's Society Club
- Gay Straight Alliance (GSA)
- Sierra Club
- Bible Club
- Go Green Club
- Best Buddies Club
- Skateboarding Club
- Youth Action
- International Studies Ambassadors
- Call of Duty Club
- Tom Araya, vocalist and bassist of the metal band Slayer
- Dave Lombardo, former drummer of the metal band Slayer
- Sam Johnson, American football player
- Lorenzo Mata, Class of 2004; Player for the U-18 United States Mens Basketball National Team, won a scholarship to play for the UCLA Bruins men's basketball team.
- Sen Dog, Member of hip hop group Cypress Hill.
- Mellow Man Ace, Member of hip hop group Cypress Hill group named after a street in the city of South Gate.
- Rick Renteria, Major League Baseball player and manager
- Lou Kimzey, publisher and movie producer.
- Hugh Taylor, Class of 1950, Robert P. Sharp Professor of Geology, Emeritus, Caltech. Elected to the National Academy of Sciences and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1981.
- South Gate High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed November 17, 2007.
- "70 percent of teacher's students pass Advanced Placement tests", Billy Witz, Knight-Ridder Newspapers, May 28, 2006
- "Students Gather to Protest School Inequalities and Lack of Access to College-Preparatory Courses", PRWeb, June 27, 2002
- "800 High School Students And Latino Music Stars Destroy Thousands Of Pirated CDs To Kick Off National Hispanic Music Anti-Piracy Campaign", HispanicBusiness.com, December 5, 2002
- "South Gate High School protest", Long Beach Press-Telegram, 3 November 2005
- McIver, Joel (November 11, 2009). The Bloody Reign of Slayer. Omnibus Press. ISBN 9780857120380.
- Lorenzo Mata, CSTV. Accessed November 17, 2007.
- Cypress Hill#cite note-Biography-2
- Wulf, Steve (April 4, 2014). "The fall guys". ESPN.com. Retrieved April 4, 2014.
- Gonzales, Mark (November 9, 2013). "Renteria climbed managerial ladder the hard way". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved April 4, 2014.