South Hagerstown High School
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (June 2008)|
South Hagerstown High School is located at 1101 South Potomac Street, in Hagerstown, Maryland, United States. The current principal is Dr.Timothy Dawson. The school is part of the Washington County Public Schools system. It enrolls 1280 Students and School day is 8:45 to 3:30. The size is 163,959 sq.feet.
South Hagerstown High School opened its doors in the fall of 1956. Buildings for Washington County's newest (in 1956) education facility were planned by Washington, D.C. architects McLeod & Ferrara, and they were built by Norman S. Early and Son of Hagerstown. The architectural design of the school won first place in a national competition that year. The school was dedicated to the service of youth and the community. South Hagerstown high School is also home of the Academy of Finance. The Academy of Finance is a program that is open to all Washington County High School Students and prepares them for a career in Accounting and Business.
The first principal was Carl R. Beer. The successive principals were Richard T. Whisner, Donald Zilch, Walter Galbraith, John D. Peckyno, Richard Martin, Michael Shockey, Richard Akers and Dr. Timothy Dawson. The current assistant principals are John Shirk, Sherry Hamilton, and Matthew Mauriello '99.
South Hagerstown High School recently received a bronze rating in the U.S. News & World Report of best high schools in America.
- Student Government Association
- Future Business Leaders of America
- Academy of Finance
- National Honor Society
- Academic Team
- Best Buddies
- Environmental Club
- Key Club
- Link Crew
- Spanish Club
- French Club
- Indoor and Outdoor Color Guard
- Anime Club
- Media Club
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes
- Mock Trial
- Future Educators of America
- Robert A. McKee, former Maryland politician, House of Delegates (District 2A)
- Christopher B. Shank, current Maryland State Senator (District 2)
- Zachary Logan, manager of cerebral cancer detection at the Keller Center of Cerebral Studies in Port Aransas, TX.
- Steve Grove, Successful smooth Jazz Saxophonist with more than 5 CDs released, A.K.A. "Euge Groove"
Rival high school
- SHHS homepage
- Washington County Public Schools: South Hagerstown High School
- Washington County Public Schools Official Site