South High School (Springfield, Ohio)
|South High School|
|Color(s)||Blue & gold|
|Information||1911 - 2008|
South High School, formerly Springfield High School, is a building that housed a public high school in Springfield, Ohio. It was one of two high schools in the Springfield City Schools district, the other school being North High School.
Dayton Ohio architect Albert Pretzinger's design of the school was modeled after the Library of Congress. When it school was built around 1911, it was the sole high school in Springfield. North High School was built in the 1960s due to the rising population of the city, and the old high school was renamed South.
The mascot was the Wildcat. The school colors were Gold and Navy Blue.
North and South High School merged into Springfield High School in 2008. The two schools moved into a new building behind the old North High School. The North High School building was demolished that year, while the South High School building currently stands vacant.
- Springfield South and North had a cross-town rivalry; South has beaten North in 24 of their past 25 meetings in basketball.
- The 2002-2003 Springfield South football team went to the Elite Eight in the 2002.
- Tim Glass was a first-round draft choice of the Cleveland Indians in the 1976 Major League Amateur Draft.
- Dee Miller was a sixth-round draft choice (196th overall) of the Green Bay Packers in the 1999 NFL Draft.
- Fred Foster played in the NBA for 11 years after a college career with Miami University.
- Ron Burton played professional football after a college career at Northwestern. The Burton Foundation in Boston is one of the most successful and long-running youth services program in the U.S.
- The Walters gym was named after beloved coach and athletic director Paul "Bucky" Walters. Walters coached many of South's greatest athletes: Fred Foster, Tom Wilson, Dick Evey, Norn Bass, Skip Snow just to name a few.
- Stafford, Tom (July 24, 2011). "'61 Springfield graduates reflect on North-South split". Springfield News-Sun. Retrieved December 13, 2012.
- Bruner, Bethany (Jan 7, 2012). "Old school sites cost city district thousands each year". Springfield News-Sun. Retrieved December 13, 2012.
- "1976 Cleveland Indians Picks in the MLB June Amateur Draft". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved 1 October 2013.