South Holland and The Deepings (UK Parliament constituency)
|South Holland and The Deepings|
|for the House of Commons|
Boundary of South Holland and The Deepings in Lincolnshire.
Location of Lincolnshire within England.
|Electorate||76,939 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Spalding and Holbeach|
|Member of Parliament||John Hayes (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Holland with Boston|
|European Parliament constituency||East Midlands|
The constituency was created in 1997 from parts of the former seats of Holland with Boston & Stamford and Spalding. It covers the area around Spalding. It roughly corresponds to the South Holland local government district, with Market, and West Deeping added to it.
In minor boundary changes in place for the 2010 general election, parts of the two civil parishes, Baston, and Langtoft forming much of the Truesdale ward, moved to neighbouring Grantham and Stamford. This made Market Deeping and Deeping St. James the only South Kesteven parishes to stay in the constituency, the remainder being in South Holland District.
The seat has electoral wards:
- Crowland, Deeping St Nicholas, Donington, Fleet, Gedney, Gosberton Village, Holbeach: Hurn, St Johns and Town wards, Long Sutton, Pinchbeck, Spalding: Castle, Monks House, St John's, St Mary's, St Paul's and Wygate wards, Surfleet, Sutton Bridge, The Saints, Weston and Moulton, Whaplode in the South Holland District
- Market Deeping and Deeping St. James in the South Kesteven District
The last non-Conservative member for the predecessor main seat was Sir Herbert Butcher (served 1937-1966) who for much of that time was in the National Liberal Party set up in 1931.
The member from 1966 until 1997 was Richard Body for the main contributor seat (in later years as MP, knighted), who had previously been an MP during the end of the Churchill second government and start of the Macmillan government for Billericay, and later wrote assertive books on agriculture and on the Common Agricultural Policy.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: South Holland and the Deepings|
|General Election 2010: South Holland and the Deepings|
|Liberal Democrat||Jennifer Conroy||7,759||15.5||+2.6|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: South Holland and The Deepings|
|Liberal Democrat||Steve Jarvis||6,244||12.9||+2.6|
|General Election 2001: South Holland and The Deepings|
|Liberal Democrat||Grace Hill||4,761||10.3||-5.3|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: South Holland and The Deepings|
|Liberal Democrat||Peter Millen||7,836||15.6||N/A|
|Non-party Conservative||Guy Erwood||902||1.8||N/A|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "S" (part 4)[self-published source][better source needed]
- BBC - Election 2010 - South Holland & The Deepings