South Hook LNG terminal
South Hook LNG terminal is an LNG regasification terminal near Milford Haven and is the largest LNG terminal in Europe. Together with the smaller Dragon LNG terminal it can handle up to 25% of the UK's gas requirement. The first tanker docked on 20 March 2009.
The terminal is built to store and re-gasify liquefied natural gas imported from the Qatargas 2 LNG plant in Qatar. in the five storage tanks based at the site. The tanks are of a large size: 94 metres in diameter, and 31 metres high rising a further 12 metres at the top. That is roughly equivalent to the size of Albert Hall. The regasified natural gas is to be fed through the South Wales Gas Pipeline to the national gas network at Tirley, Gloucestershire.
The terminal is owned and operated by the by South Hook LNG Terminal Company Ltd, a joint venture between Qatar Petroleum LNG Services (QG II) Ltd. (67.5%), ExxonMobil Qatargas (II) Terminal Company Ltd. (24.15%) and ELF Petroleum UK Limited (8.35%).
The terminal was designed and built by CB&I. At construction peak, some 2,500 people were employed on site. Despite starting work some 3 months later than the nearby Dragon LNG terminal (which has two LNG tanks compared to the 5 at South Hook), South Hook was the first of the two to receive LNG and send natural gas into the national gas network.
The site slopes down towards the Cleddau river. This allowed the tanks to be located such that they cannot be seen from the Milford Haven - Dale road that runs North along the terminal.
Droning and vibration from the Qatargas Q-Flex and Q-Max vessels also cause noise nuisance to local residents who have formed a community group to pressure the South Hook LNG Terminal and Qatargas to comment on the issue. A trial of new exhaust silencers has been implemented but they are not producing a significant improvement in low level frequency mitigation.
Because of the long running noise and vibration issues Local communities are forming a number of pressure groups to encourage the South Hook Terminal, Qatar gas and regulatory Authorities to carry out further assessments and enforcement. The aim of these groups is not to try to close the terminal down, but to encourage a better integration into the community by using quiet ships. 
There is an ongoing controversy over the safety of the site spearheaded by the Safe Haven group. It is claimed by Safe Haven that in case of gas ignition, it could endanger twenty thousand lives and that there are concerns that sufficient risk assessments had not been carried out into the possibility of a collision or major incident at the port. 
The main source of cargoes to the terminal is from the joint owned Qatar Petrolium and ExxonMobil train 2 at the QatarGas 2 project in Qatar. The initial GSPA was signed in 2005 was for 15.6 mmtpa but this was reduced to 10.4 mmtpa in 2009 when Total acquitted a 17.5 share in one of the QatarGas 2 trains.
In 2014, RasGas and Eon struck a deal for 2 BCM of gas to be delivered into either the IOG terminal or South Hook (likely the IOG) over the period of 4 years. This was the first deal to be struck by the sister company of QatarGas for deliveries into the UK as previously the two companies kept their markets very much separate.
- "Port awaits liquid gas delivery". BBC. 2009-03-20. Retrieved 2009-03-20.
- "Timeline: LNG plants in Wales". BBC News Online. 2010-03-19. Retrieved 2010-03-01.
- "Dragon LNG Terminal To Open In Q2 - BG". Downstream Today. 2009-02-04. Retrieved 2009-02-17.
- "FACTBOX-Europe LNG import terminals to open by 2011". Reuters. 2009-01-19. Retrieved 2009-02-17.
- "Timeline: LNG plants in Wales". BBC News Online. 2009-02-16. Retrieved 2009-02-17.
- "Total buys 8.35 pct stake in South Hook LNG terminal". Reuters. 2006-08-12. Retrieved 2009-02-17.
- "South Hook LNG tanks". Taylor Woodrow. Retrieved 2009-03-20.[dead link]
- "South Hook LNG Terminal - Ship Noise Community Information". South Hook Noise. 2010-05-10. Retrieved 2010-05-10.
- "The LNG Experience". BBC. 2006-03-03. Retrieved 2009-02-17.
- "Total Acquires 25% Stake in Qatari Block".
- "RasGas South Hook Sign 2 BCM LNG Deal".