South Houston High School
South Houston, which serves grades 9 through 12, is a part of the Pasadena Independent School District. As of 2008 the principal is Dr. Steve Fullen.
South Houston High School opened in 1957 to relieve Pasadena High School and graduated its first class in 1959. At that time the city of South Houston had a population of approximately 7500 citizens. During the school's early years, the mayor of South Houston was George Christy, who was the owner of a circus. His elephants were used to build part of Spencer Highway. Sam Rayburn High School was later opened to relieve crowding at SHHS. The city of South Houston currently has approximately 17,400 citizens with a median household of more than $14,000 below the state average. Visit http://www.city-data.com/city/South-Houston-Texas.html for more statistical information about the City of South Houston.
In 2013, South Houston High School was one of only two high schools in the Pasadena Independent School District to be awarded a "Distinction" Rating by being in the top quartile for student progress, and was ranked 6th for this measure in their cohort group. In 2014 SHHS was awarded three Distinctions, more than any other high school in the district, one each for Mathematics, Science and Student Progress and was 3rd for the Student Progress measure in their cohort group. South Houston High School continues to offer excellence in education to the students of South Houston and the Pasadena Independent School District.
Hall of Honor
In March 2011, South Houston High School unveiled the "Wall of Honor" to spotlight outstanding alumni who have made contributions to the community, nation and world. 54 alumni were honored, including five who gave the ultimate sacrifice in the US Armed Services in Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan. Each year the school adds names to the wall. Visit the South Houston Alumni page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/sohoalumni/ to keep up with current events and relive old times.
- Nathan Isgur (1964): theoretical physicist; winner of Sakurai Prize in Physics; Chief Scientist of Jefferson Physics Lab. Inducted to the Wall of Honor in 2011.
- Al Carter (1970): Sports journalist and editor; former columnist for the Houston Chronicle, Houston Post and Dallas Morning News.
- Chris Tremie (1988): Former Major League catcher with the Chicago White Sox, Texas Rangers, Pittsburgh Pirates and Houston Astros. Inducted to the Wall of Honor in 2011.
- Cheryl Bolen (1964), author of historical novels, was inducted to the Wall of Honor in 2011.
- Trey Speegle (1978): was commissioned by fashion designer Stella McCartney, the daughter of rock icon Paul McCartney, to paint the backdrop for her Paris fashion show and designed a memorial poster for Andy Warhol which was used for a template of Warhol’s gravestone. Inducted to the Wall of Honor in 2013
In the fall of 2013, South Houston High School will unveil their Teacher Hall of Honor with an inaugural group of 20 former SHHS Teachers, including James Barber who served as the school's principal for 10 years, Janet Barnett Reed who taught at the school for 41 years, and Sally Schott long time choir director. The Teacher Wall of Honor was unveiled on October 1, 2013 as part of the year's Homecoming celebration. Each year during the Homecoming celebration the school hosts an open house for Alumni and inducts new members to the Walls of Honor.
South Houston High School competes in football, soccer, basketball, volleyball, softball, Dance (Jannettes), baseball, track and field, cross country, cheerleading, golf, marching band, tennis and swimming. The school has a Navy NJROTC unit which was named the best in their Region in Spring 2014.
Mascot, colors, and publications
The mascot for South Houston High School is Hector the Trojan. The school colors are normally referred to as red and white, but the official colors are scarlett and gray. The yearbook is called the Palladium. The student newspaper is called The Torch.
Elementary schools that feed into South Houston include:
- Walter Matthys
- Pearl Hall
- L.F. Smith
- South Houston
Intermediate schools that feed into South Houston include Miller, Park View, Queens and South Houston.
Portions of the SHHS attendance boundary are served by Rick Schneider Middle School.