South Korean literature
South Korean literature covers literature from South Korea, written mainly in Korean, and/or other languages.
Literature by genre
A representative barometer of serious fiction is provided by the choices of some contemporary authors by the Korea Literature Translation Institute for translation into English, French, German and Spanish. Among the modern authors translated by LTI are:
- Gong Ji-young author of Crucible and My Sister Bongsoon (봉순이 언니)
- Park Kyung-ni: The Land, 1994
- Hwang Sun-won: The Descendants of Cain, 1954
- Ahn Soo-kil (1911-1977)
- Eun Hee-kyung (1959~)
- Seong Seok-jae (1961~)
- Park Mingyu (1968~)
- Choi Il-nam (1932~)
- Kim Jae-young (1966~)
- Bang Young-ung (1942~)
- Bok Geo-il (1946~)
- Cho Se-hui (1942~)
- Park Beom-shin (1946~)
- Kim So-jin (1963-1997)(김소진)
- Han Moo-sook (1918-1993)
- Hwang Sok-yong (1943~)
- Ahn Junghyo (1941~)
- Kim Hoon (1948~)
- Kim Yeon-su (1970~)
- Kim Young-ha (1968~)
- Yang Gui-ja (1955~)
- Kim Won-il (1942~)
- Gong Seon-ok (1963-)(공선옥)
- Son Chang-seop (1922-2010)
- Kim Seung-ok (1941~)
- Chang Yong-hak (1921-1999)
- Kim Joo-young (1939~)
- Lee Cheong-jun (1939-2008)
- Lee Dong-ha (1942~)
- Lee Soon-won (1957~)
- Park Wan-suh (1931-2011)
- Yi Munyol (1948~)
- Yoo Jae-yong (1936~)
- Yu Heaon-jong (1939~)
- Yun Heung-gil (1942~)
- Yun Hu-myong (1946~)
- Shin Kyung-sook (1963~)
- Oh Jung-hee (1947~)
- Korean-American writers writing in Korean, e.g. Kim Yong-ik
Mass market fiction
The Korea literature market is dominated by typical mass market genres, including:
- Popular novels: e.g. Jo Jung-rae (b. 1943), Lee Oisoo, Park Min-gyu, Internet novelist Guiyeoni, actor Cha In-pyo
- The detective novel: e.g. Kim Ho-su (김호수) Den Haag.
- Political fiction: e.g. Kim Jin-myung (김진명)'s The Rose of Sharon Blooms Again and film.
- Fantasy fiction: e.g. Lee Yeongdo (b. 1972), Jeon Min-hee's Children of the rune, Lee Woo-hyouk's The Soul Guardians (퇴마록, 退魔錄), etc.
- Science fiction & boundary literature: Bae Myung Hoon (배명훈), Kim Ie-hwan (김이환), Djuna. etc
Non-fiction essayists include Chang Young-hee.
List of Korean language poets (mainly 20th Century)
- This article does not cover Japanese language writers with South Korean citizenship such as Miri Yu.
- English translation by Agnita Tennant, pb Kegan Paul.
- 1985 The Anthology of Modern Korean Poetry (한국현대시선) Chung Chong-Wha et al. East West
- 1997 Modern Korean Verse (한국 현대 시조선) Kim Jaihiun Ronsdale LTI Korea
- 2004 The Columbia Anthology of Modern Korean Poetry (한국현대시선집) David R.McCann Columbia University Press