South Lancaster Academy
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|South Lancaster Academy|
|198 George Hill Road
South Lancaster, MA, 01561
|Religious affiliation(s)||Seventh-day Adventist Church|
|Grades||9 - 12 Academy K-8 Browning Elementary|
|Average class size||25|
|Student to teacher ratio||1:11|
|Campus size||500 acres (2.0 km2)|
|Athletics||Five varsity teams|
|Accreditation||Adventist Accrediting Association|
|Part of a series on|
Seventh-day Adventist portal
South Lancaster Academy (SLA) is a co-educational preparatory day school, consisting of grades 9-12 upper school & grades K-8 Browning Elementary, operated by Seventh-day Adventists in South Lancaster, Massachusetts.
- 1882 Organized as a preparatory school on Feb 5th, under the leadership of Stephen Nelson Haskell (1833-1922)
- 1882 On April 19, first day of class for "that New England school"
- 1883 On Dec 12th, incorporated and formerly named as South Lancaster Academy
- 1887 In May, certificates were given to thirteen students who had completed the intermediate course of eight grades.
- 1888 On May 12, first SLA graduation ceremony was held.
- 1912 On Oct 12th the cornerstone was laid for the J. T. Browning Missionary and Industrial School
- 1913 Browning Normal school dedicated
- 1918 Renamed Lancaster Junior College, after advanced work was carried on for several years in theology, teacher training, and business.
- 1922 Renamed Atlantic Union College, after offering a four-year theological course and being authorized degree-granting powers conferred by the Massachusetts legislature. The Academy and College became separate institutions with the Academy having its own board of trustees and faculty.
- 1965 With the opening of Pioneer Valley Academy, SLA was no longer used as a boarding school.
- 1965 Browning Elementary is re-situated at its current location on George Hill Road.
- 1967 South Lancaster Academy re-situated at its current location on George Hill Road in South Lancaster, MA.
- 1985 Administrations of Browning Elementary and South Lancaster Academy are combined into one.
- 2009 South Lancaster Academy/Browning Elementary is officially renamed to South Lancaster Academy with Browning Elementary being included as part of the school brand but not in title.
- 1882-1884 Goodloe Harper Bell (1832-1899)
- 1884-1885 Dores Alonzo Robinson (1848-1899)
- 1885-1888 Charles Cornell Ramsay (1857-1942)
- 1888-1894 George W. Caviness (1857-1923)
- 1894-1899 Joseph Harvey Haughey (1857-1935)
- 1899-1907 Frederick Griggs (1867-1952)
- 1907-1909 Benjamin F. Machlan (1865-1928)
- 1909-1913 Charles Smull Longacre (1871-1958)
- 1913-1916 Benjamin F. Machlan (1865-1928)
- 1916-1917 William G. Worth
- 1917-1920 Mahlon Elsworth Olsen (1873-1952)
- 1920-1920 Otto Marion John (1883-1938)
- 1921-1922 George R. Lehman (1905-1986)
- 1922-____ Irvil Atwood Armstrong (1887-1936) First Principal after College faculty separated
- c1930-____ Linton Garfield Sevrens (1895-1975)
- 1944-1945 William Burton Higgins (1899-1968)
- 1945-1952 Chester Everett Kellogg (1892-1984)
- c1952-____ Harold F. Lease (1904-1995)
- c1955-____ Edwin Charles Harkins (1908-1993)
- c1961-1966 Lloyd Stanley Davis (1916-1995)
- 1966-1967 Don Lake
- 1968-1969 J. Melvyn Clemons
- 1970 1973 - Dale Twomley (South Lancaster Academy School Board Minutes)
- 1976-1989 Alfred Peder Aastrup (b. 1929)
- 1996 - 1998 Jeff Foote
- 2000 - 2001 - Gary Force
- 2001 - 2002 Sandy Durand
- 2002-2007 Allyson E. Cram (b. 1965)< minutes of South Lancaster Academy School Board>
- 2007-current Ron Huff< minutes of South Lancaster Academy School Board>
- "Free US Geocoder". Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "South Lancaster Academy". Adventist Online Yearbook. adventistyearbook.org. 2012. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- Private School Review, Retrieved June 2, 2010.
- Georgia-Cumberland Academy - Sports, Retrieved June 2, 2010.
- International Registry for Accreditation, Retrieved June 2, 2010.
- "Atlantic Union College Expands To Meet Demand". Atlantic Union Gleaner LXIV (37): 5. 27 September 1965. Retrieved 12/7/2013.