South Miami Heights, Florida
|South Miami Heights, Florida|
|Miami-Dade County and the state of Florida|
|• Total||4.9 sq mi (12.8 km2)|
|• Land||4.9 sq mi (12.8 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||10 ft (3 m)|
|• Density||6,841.2/sq mi (2,618.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0291396|
South Miami Heights is located at .(25.588784, -80.385209)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 4.9 square miles (12.8 km²), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 33,522 people, 9,931 households, and 7,994 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 6,800.4 people per square mile (2,625.3/km²). There were 10,364 housing units at an average density of 2,102.5/sq mi (811.7/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 55.47% White (11.2% Non-Hispanic White,) 30.32% African American, 0.28% Native American, 1.83% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 6.85% from other races, and 5.23% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 56.17% of the population.
There were 9,931 households out of which 43.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.3% were married couples living together, 22.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.5% were non-families. 15.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.34 and the average family size was 3.68.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 30.6% under the age of 18, 9.8% from 18 to 24, 29.3% from 25 to 44, 20.8% from 45 to 64, and 9.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females there were 93.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.4 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $34,899, and the median income for a family was $37,457. Males had a median income of $25,768 versus $22,080 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $12,315. About 14.8% of families and 17.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.9% of those under age 18 and 24.3% of those age 65 or over.
As of 2000, speakers of Spanish as a first language accounted for 58.06% of residents, while English made up 40.16%, French was at 0.94%, and French Creole was the mother tongue of 0.81% of the population.
As of 2000, South Miami Heights had the twentieth highest percentage of Cuban residents in the US, with 25.70% of the populace. It had the 145th highest percentage of Puerto Rican residents in the US, at 6.82% of the population, and the seventeenth highest percentage of Jamaican residents in the US, at 6.0% of its population. It also had the fourteenth most Nicaraguans in the US, at 2.79%, while it had the fifty-first highest percentage of Dominicans, at 2.54% of all residents. South Miami Heights' Colombian community had the sixty-first highest percentage of residents, which was at 2.38% (tied with Palisades Park, New Jersey,) while the Guyanese community had the thirteenth highest percentage in the US, which made up 1.10% (tied with five other US areas.) It's also home to the forty-third highest percentage of Honduran residents in the US, at 1.09% of the population (tied with Fountainbleau.)
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING (1790-2000)". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2010-07-17.
- "Demographics of South Miami Heights, FL". MuniNetGuide.com. Retrieved 2007-11-09.
- "MLA Data Center Results of South Miami Heights, FL". Modern Language Association. Retrieved 2007-11-09.
- "Ancestry Map of Cuban Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2007-11-09.
- "Ancestry Map of Puerto Rican Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2007-11-09.
- "Ancestry Map of Jamaican Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2007-11-09.
- "Ancestry Map of Nicaraguan Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2007-11-09.
- "Ancestry Map of Dominican Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2007-11-09.
- "Ancestry Map of Colombian Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2007-11-09.
- "Ancestry Map of Guyanese Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2007-11-09.
- "Ancestry Map of Honduran Communities". Epodunk.com. Retrieved 2007-11-09.