South Morang railway station
Station front in April 2012
|Address||McDonalds Road, South Morang|
|Distance||25.99 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Structure type||Below ground|
|Platforms||2 (1 island)|
|Opened||22 April 2012|
|Station status||Premium station|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
Stopping Place No 39 was the original South Morang station, a single platform at McDonalds Road on the Whittlesea line. Operated by DERMs, the Victorian Railways closed the line north of Lalor Station in November 1959, after the electrification of the line from Reservoir to Lalor. Epping station was re-opened in November 1964 with the electrification of that section of the line, and the remaining section of track from Epping to Whittlesea was dismantled, with the former right-of-way remaining intact. All that remained of the original station was the platform mound.
Epping Line upgrade
Following the election of the Bracks State Government in October 1999, a promise was made to restore the rail service to South Morang by 2003. In May 2006, the promise was revised and the extension was delayed until 2021. As a result of the Global Financial Crisis, the Brumby Government made a decision to spend heavily on major infrastructure projects, and in December 2008 announced construction of the extension would be brought forward to 2010, with the new station opening to the public on 22 April 2012.
The Epping line was extended to the border of South Morang and Mill Park, about two kilometres short of the original station site. As part of the extension project, five kilometres of track was duplicated between Keon Park and Epping stations, a second platform built at Thomastown while a grade separation project resulted in a new station at Epping. Provision has been made to allow the line to be extended northwards to Whittlesea.
Platforms & services
Dyson's Bus Services operate six routes via South Morang station:
- 562: Northland Shopping Centre - Humevale
- 564: to RMIT Bundoora
- 569: to Pacific Epping
- 572: Doreen and University Hill
- 573: RMIT Bundoora - Mill Park Lakes
- 577: to Pacific Epping
- South Morang Vicsig
- "South Morang finally gets its line". The Age. 23 April 2012.
- Weston Langford Railway Photography
- Project Overview Transport Victoria
- South Morang Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 562 Northland Shopping Centre - Whittlesea timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 564 Bundoora RMIT - South Morang timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 569 Epping Plaza Shopping Centre - South Morang timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 573 Bundoora RMIT - Mill Park Lakes timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 577 Epping Plaza - South Morang Station timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 901 Frankston - Melbourne Airport timetable Public Transport Victoria
Media related to South Morang railway station, Melbourne at Wikimedia Commons