South Mountain High School
|South Mountain High School|
|5401 South 7th Street
Phoenix, Arizona 85040
|Type||Public secondary school|
|Number of students||1,760 (October 1, 2012)|
|Color(s)||columbia blue and red|
|Mascot||Jaguars (Rebels 1954-85)|
South Mountain High School is part of the Phoenix Union High School District. The campus is located at 5401 South 7th Street in Phoenix, Arizona, USA. South Mountain’s enrollment is 1,758 students. The school predominantly serves students from partner elementary district Roosevelt.
South Mountain High School teaches five of the eleven Magnet programs in the Phoenix Union High School District.
- Aviation and Aerospace Education: The program provides students with the opportunity to attain a Private Pilot's Certificate without cost, as part of the curriculum. Since its inception, the program has produced over 400 pilots. The program also provides students with academic and hands-on training in such areas as air traffic control, airframe and power plant maintenance and pre-engineering. Students can earn college credit in the Air Traffic Control courses and build time towards their Airframe and Power Plant License. The pre-engineering courses offer students the opportunity to learn aerodynamics, power plant operation and theory, aerospace systems, and stability and control. A course in Aircraft Design is also provided. All of the courses provide students with the academic rigor necessary in the areas of mathematics and science associated with the field of aerospace.
- Law-Related Studies: The Center for Law Related Studies at South Mountain High School. This program offers the student a chance to explore career opportunities in law and law-related fields and occupations through course work and involvement with the various legal professions in the community.
- Performing Arts (Dance, Music, and Theater): The Center for Performing Arts is located at South Mountain High School. Learning situations are provided through the use of equipment, nationally and internationally recognized artists as guest teachers, field trips and community performances.
- Visual Arts: The Center for Visual Arts offers students a four-year sequenced program of study in art disciplines. Students develop their style in ceramics, computer art, drawing/painting, jewelry and fiber arts, photography or sculpture. Students exhibit their work, participate in field trips and interact with local and national professional artists.
- Communication Arts: South Mountain is one of a small number of schools in Arizona with a magnet program featuring its own radio station: KJAG 1640AM, Jaguar News. This program teaches students to operate the devises used behind the scenes in T.V.
- South Mountain is a Performing school, according to the Arizona Department of Education.
- South's Academic Decathlon team has qualified for State 22 of the last 23 years. South won its first Regional title in 2008; came in second in 2007, 2009, and 2011; and won its second and third Regional titles in 2012 and 2013. The team has finished in the top 10 at the State Tournament multiple times, most recently in 2013. The Jaguars have had the overall highest-scoring competitor in four different Regional Competitions: Stanford Prescott (2007), Rachel Riley (2008), and Connor Wade (2012 and 2013). Todd Decker has been coaching the team for 23 years and has done so longer than any other coach in the state of Arizona.
- There are eleven Nationally Board Certified Teachers among South Mountain's staff.
- South has won 33 State championships in interscholastic athletics, including Girls Basketball, and a fourth-consecutive title in Girls Track and Field in 2008.
- Girls Track and Field - First big school in Arizona to win the State Title 4 consecutive years. State Champions 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008.
- Boys Basketball State Champions 1956, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1992, 2006.
- Girls Basketball State Champions 1985, 1995, 2008.
- Step Team State Champions (2007, 2008); Stepping in the Right Direction Champions, CA (2011, 2012); Stomp Wars Champions, Dallas, TX (2013)
- Metro Region Champions:
- 1982-Boys Basketball
- 1983-Boys Basketball
- 1987-Boys Basketball
- 1990-Boys Basketball
- 1991-Boys Basketball
- 1992-Boys Basketball
- 2006-Boys Basketball
- 2005-Girls Basketball, Girls Track and Field
- 2006-Girls Basketball, Boys Basketball, Girls Track & Field, Boys Track & Field
- 2007-Girls Basketball, Girls Softball, Girls Track & Field, Boys Track & Field,Wrestling, Football
- 2008-Football, Volleyball, Girls Cross Country, Girls Basketball, Girls Track & Field, Boys Track & Field
- Raymond Perryman, NFL Player - Oakland Raiders
- Rashad Bauman, NFL Player - Washington Redskins
- Manny Hendrix, NFL Player - Dallas Cowboys
- Steve Jordan, NFL Player - Minnesota Vikings
- Frank Camacho, Arizona Channel 3 Anchor/Reporter
- Barbara Mundell, Presiding Judge, Maricopa Superior Court
- Sandra Kennedy, former Minority Leader, Arizona State Senate
- Alisha Villa, Phoenix Municipal Court Hearing Officer (Judge)
- Adam Lopez Falk, Governing Board Member, Alhambra Elementary School District and noted Phoenix community leader
- Byron Evans, former linebacker for the Philadelphia Eagles
- Dwayne Evans, 1976 Olympic Bronze Medalist (200 meter)
- Terry Fair, former Defensive Back for the Detroit Lions
- Jason Shivers, Defensive Back for the New York Giants
- Anne Montgomery - South Mountain teacher, journalist and author, former Network Sportscaster
- William "Willy Northpole" Adams, Rapper - Disturbing Tha Peace Records
- David Grace, Former South Mountain Teacher/Basketball Coach 2006 State Champions, Assistant Men's Basketball Coach UCLA
- Jacqueline Hershey - fiction writer and storyteller
- AIA 2012 enrollment figures
- South Mountain High School
- Phoenix Union High School District website
- Arizona Department of Education School Report Card