South Mountain State Park
|South Mountain State Park|
|Maryland State Park|
|Elevation||1,555 ft (474 m) |
|Area||9,437 acres (3,819 ha) |
|Management||Maryland Department of Natural Resources|
|IUCN category||V - Protected Landscape/Seascape|
|Nearest city||Hagerstown, MD|
|Website: South Mountain State Park|
South Mountain State Park is a state park in Washington and Frederick counties in Maryland. The park encompasses nearly the entire length of South Mountain through Maryland and is contiguous with several other national, state and local parks on the mountain, including the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park, Gathland State Park, Washington Monument State Park, Greenbrier State Park and Pen Mar County Park (Washington County). Maryland's 40-mile (64 km) section of the Appalachian Trail traverses the length of the park. The park also contains part of the South Mountain Battlefield. Camping is permitted at six shelters and three backpackers campgrounds off the AT. The park also has two hunting areas.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: South Mountain State Park
- "FY2013 DNR Owned Lands Acreage Report". Maryland DNR. Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- "Appalachian Trail". Maryland DNR. Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- "Battle of South Mountain". Maryland DNR. Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- "South Mountain State Park". Maryland DNR. Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- South Mountain State Park Maryland Department of Natural Resources