South Plantation High School
|South Plantation High School|
|1300 Paladin Way
Plantation, Florida, 33317
|School district||Broward County Schools|
|Superintendent||James F. Notter|
|Hours in school day||8:05 a.m. 3:00 p.m.|
|School colour(s)||Purple, White, and Gold
|Nickname||South or South Plant|
|Newspaper||The Sword & Shield|
|Phone Number - (754) 323-1950|
South Plantation High School, also known locally as simply "South" (to avoid confusion with Plantation High), is a four-year, public high school located in Plantation, a large suburb of Fort Lauderdale, Florida, in the United States.
SPHS is part of the Broward County Public Schools District, which is the sixth largest district in the nation with over 258,000 students enrolled as of the 2007/08 school year. The school has been named a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence in 1982 and 1983. South Plantation has an FCAT school grade of "A"for the 2010-2011 academic year.
Fall (August - November)
Winter (October - February)
Spring (January - April)
Extracurricular activities and clubs
- 4H (4H program)
- Band - A year long course consisting of marching band and color guard for the 1st semester of the school year, and concert band the 2nd semester of the year.
- Best Buddies
- Business Professionals of America (BPA) - Students pursuing careers in the business and information technology fields, are shown how to advance leadership, citizenship, academic, and technological skills, through Intern Programs, Skill Assessment Guides, and Special Recognition Awards.
- Chess Club
- Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA) - Students who are interested in business marketing, management, and entrepreneurship participate in many activities, including the Fashion Show, Thanksgiving Food Drive, Adopt-an-Angel Toy Drive, MDA, SHAPE, Hurricane Relief projects, and competitions.
- Drama/Thespians- The drama program has recently put on productions of High School Musical, Peter Pan, West Side Story, High School Musical 2, The Boys Next Door and Alice in Wonderland.
- ER Ambassadors - Students travel to elementary schools to teach environmental activities. They help with recruiting new students to the high school program and earn volunteer hours by working with community organizations on weekend events.
- First Priority- Christian club where students talk about Christ and God
- FIRST Robotics
- Florida Future Educators of America (FFEA)
- French Club
- Friendship Club
- Gay/Straight Alliance (GSA)
- Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA)
- Human Relations Council
- Inter-Club Council (ICC)
- JROTC (Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps)
- Key Club
- Literary Magazine
- Massive Appeal (Dance Team)
- Mu Alpha Theta
- Multicultural Club
- National Honor Society (NHS)
- The Paladin Society - Students travel to Renaissance festivals, in order to educate patrons on different aspects of society during the Middle Ages. Such as, medieval and Renaissance era weaponry, armor, customs, medicine, and superstitions.
- Quill and Scroll
- Salsa Club
- Sign of the Knights
- Solar Knights
- Spanish Club
- Special Olympics
- SPTV- South was one of the first schools to establish a morning t.v program
- Step Team
- Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD)
- Student Government Association (SGA)
- Students Taking On Paralysis (STOP)
- Sword and Shield (Newspaper)
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Yearbook: In recent years, the Prospectus Yearbook Staff produced two FSPA "All Florida" award winning yearbooks: both the 2008 and 2009 editions.
- South Plantation High School
- South Plantation High School Engineering Program
- The Culpepper Journalism Foundation - A fund created by a former South Plantation teacher, with the goal of, assisting students, who wish to go to summer journalism programs.
- Doug Parrish Career & Technology Scholarship - A scholarship set up, for the further education, of a graduating senior, who pursued a Career and Technology course of study, at South Plantation.