South Santiam River
|South Santiam River|
Fly fishing on the South Santiam River just downstream of Sweet Home
|Name origin: Kalapuya tribe that lived near the river until removal to the Grande Ronde Reservation|
|Source||Jumpoff Joe Mountain|
|- location||Cascade Range, Willamette National Forest, Linn County, Oregon|
|- elevation||1,932 ft (589 m) |
|- location||Willamette Valley, Linn County, Oregon|
|- elevation||217 ft (66 m) |
|Length||66 mi (106 km) |
|Basin||1,040 sq mi (2,694 km2) |
|Discharge||for Waterloo, 23.3 miles (37.5 km) above the mouth|
|- average||2,946 cu ft/s (83 m3/s)|
|- max||95,200 cu ft/s (2,696 m3/s)|
|- min||67 cu ft/s (2 m3/s)|
The South Santiam River is a tributary of the Santiam River, about 66 miles (106 km) long, in western Oregon in the United States. It drains an area of the Cascade Range into the Willamette Valley east of Corvallis.
It rises in the Cascades in southeastern Linn County in the Willamette National Forest at . It flows briefly north, then generally west through the Western Cascades and Cascadia. It then flows a handful of miles before entering Foster Reservoir. At Foster Reservoir the Middle Santiam river joins the South Santiam. Downstream from the reservoir it flows west past Sweet Home, where it turns northwest, passing through the foothills into the Willamette Valley near Lebanon. It joins the North Santiam River from the southeast to form the Santiam approximately 15 mi (24 km) northeast of Lebanon, approximately 10 miles (16 km) east of the confluence of the Santiam with the Willamette River.
- McArthur, Lewis A.; McArthur, Lewis L. (2003). Oregon Geographic Names (Seventh ed.). Portland, Oregon: Oregon Historical Society Press. p. 848. ISBN 0-87595-277-1.
- Google Earth elevation for GNIS coordinates
- "South Santiam River". Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). United States Geological Survey. November 28, 1980. Retrieved July 25, 2009.
- United States Geological Survey. "United States Geological Survey Topographic Map". TopoQuest. Retrieved July 25, 2009. The map quadrants include river mile (RM) markers for the river's entire length.
- "Watershed Issues". South Santiam Watershed Council. Retrieved July 25, 2009.
Media related to South Santiam River at Wikimedia Commons