South Ural State University
||This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
|South Ural State University
|Южно-Уральский государственный университет
|Established||December 15, 1943|
|President||German Platonovich Vyatkin|
|Rector||Aleksandr Leonidoviсh Shestakov|
|Former names||Chelyabinsk Mechanics and Technology Institute (CMTI)
Chelyabinsk Polytechnic Institute (CPI)
Chelyabinsk State Technical University (CSTU)
South Ural State University (SUSU) (Russian: Южно-Уральский государственный университет (ЮУрГУ)) in Chelyabinsk is one of the largest educational institutions in Russia. It is among the top-ten of the Russian universities according to the state rating of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation, and the largest in Russia in terms of the number of undergraduates.
There are over 50 thousand students and more than 5 thousand faculty members and staff at the University, including 270 professors and 1020 associate professors. Among them are 4 academicians and 5 Corresponding Members of the Russian Academy of Sciences, over 90 academicians of various public academies, 4 members of foreign academies.
The Chelyabinsk Mechanical Engineering Institute was founded on 15 December 1943 to train engineers for the armaments industry during World War II.
An information and library complex comprises over 2,5 million books and is supplied with an electronic catalogue, electronic resources hall and open hall of access to economic sciences.
The University possesses a supercomputer; linguistic centres with a digital audio equipment; a centre of preparatory training; Open and distance learning institute. A special centre of the University deals with the gifted children within the framework of such international programmes as “The Odyssey of the Mind” and “A Step into the Future”.
Organization and administration 
SUSU has developed for many years as a large regional University. However, in view of the Bologna Process and the reform of the higher education system of Russia, the main aims of the University now include an active integration with European universities; the development and realization of joint academic, scientific and innovation programmes; the provision of teachers and students mobility; the introduction of an effective system of education quality control. The University represents a system of educational institutions that includes 35 faculties, 13 branches and 3 representative offices, 166 departments; 2 faculties for professional retraining and advanced education; 53 computer centres.
- Aerospace Faculty
- Architecture Faculty
- Architecture and Construction Faculty
- Automobile and Tractor Faculty
- Faculty of Commerce
- Economics and Enterprise Faculty
- Economics and Management Faculty
- Electronics' Faculty (Computer Technologies, Management, Radio Electronics)
- Finance and Law Faculty
- International Faculty
- Graphic Design Faculty
- Faculty of Law
- Linguistics Faculty
- Mechanical-Mathematical Faculty
- Mechanical-Technological Faculty
- Physical Faculty
- Physical and Metallurgical Faculty
- Power-Engineering Faculty
- Faculty of Psychology
- Service and Light Industry Faculty
- Sociology and Humanities Faculty
- Valeology, Physical Training and Sports Faculty
Academic profile 
Education is realized according to 15 programmes of basic professional education; 19 programmes of secondary professional education; 203 programmes of higher education (for bachelors, specialists and masters); 71 specialties of postgraduate and doctoral studies. Such bases of higher education as humanitarian, natural-science, technical and military, go perfectly together at the University.
The University has trained 150 thousand specialists by 2006. Over 2100 Candidates and over 440 Doctors of Science have defended their theses.
The research activity of the University combines fundamental, applied and humanitarian studies. They are coordinated by the Department of research that, apart from scientific faculties and departments, includes a Scientific Research Institute of numeral systems, a Scientific Research Institute of industrial ecology chemical problems at the Russian Academy of Ecology, a scientific centre of the Ural branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, State scientific institution “South Ural innovation center of new technologies”, an engineering centre of automation and control, 10 departments and laboratories of corresponding institutes and academies. Young scientists are involved in various projects financed by the Chelyabinsk region administration with the framework of scholarship and grant programmes.
Student life 
The Center for creative work and leisure that organizes the activity of SUSU in accordance with 5 main lines: amateur creative work, theatrical events, amateur groups, student philharmonic society, educational and methodological work, has been working since 1999.
It comprises more than 40 student groups of various genres, including a jazz-brass band, 2 chorus groups, 8 choreographic groups, 4 vocal ensembles, a theatre studio, a fashion theatre, 4 instrumental ensembles, a club of art song.
The development of physical and sports movement, as a means of students’ and teachers’ health support, is one of the priority lines of SUSU activity. Over 14 thousand students regularly take physical exercises. For over 50 years SUSU holds an annual University Sports Day including 22 kinds of sport, a mass autumn cross-country race and a track-and-field relay race for the prizes of the Students Union and the University newspaper “Technopolis”.
The sports complex of SUSU includes one of the three largest swimming-pools in Russia (50 meter with 10 water-lanes); an indoor field-and-track hall with a 200 meter running track; specialized basketball, volleyball, boxing, wrestling, weight-lifting grounds; a hockey pitch and a skiing lodge, tennis courts and billiard halls.
The recreation and sports complex on the bank of Lake Bolshoy Sunukul consists of a student camp, a children recreation camp, a recreation centre for teachers and staff.
Notable people 
See also 
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: South Ural State University|
- (Russian) and (English) Official English language and Russian language South Ural State University website
- (Russian) and (English) Official English language and Russian language South Ural State University (date) website
- (Russian) Official SUSU rector website
- (Russian) Official TV and Radio Company “SUSU-TV” of South Ural State University website
- (Russian) and (English) Official English language and Russian language Scientific Library SUSU website
- (Russian) and (English) Official English language and Russian language SUSU International department website
- (Russian) Official “Automobile and Tractor” SUSU department website
- (Russian), (English) and (Italian) Official English language and Russian language SUSU department of
“Machine and Cutting Tools” website
- (Russian) Official Education and Methodical SUSU department
- (Russian) Official Chelyabinsk Regional Centre for Graduate Employment vocational education
- (Russian) Official SUSU Regional Centre for employment of students and graduates
- (Russian) Official SUSU Supercomputer Center website
- (Russian) Official portal of Information-analytical system (IAS) “Univeris”