South Valley Stream, New York
|South Valley Stream, New York|
|Hamlet and census-designated place|
U.S. Census Map
|• Total||0.9 sq mi (2.3 km2)|
|• Land||0.9 sq mi (2.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||7 ft (2 m)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1867419|
The northern portion of the hamlet is served by Valley Stream South High School and the Valley Stream school districts, while the southern portion, south of Rosedale Road, is served by George W. Hewlett High School and the Hewlett-Woodmere school district.
South Valley Stream is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 0.9 square miles (2.3 km2), all land.
|This article is outdated. (April 2013)|
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,638 people, 2,025 households, and 1,569 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 6,415.1 per square mile (2,473.7/km2). There were 2,045 housing units at an average density of 2,326.9/sq mi (897.2/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 74.10% White, 5.00% African American, 0.07% Native American, 13.55% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 1.53% from other races, and 2.73% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.07% of the population.
There were 2,025 households out of which 35.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 67.4% were married couples living together, 7.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.5% were non-families. 19.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.78 and the average family size was 3.22.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 25.1% under the age of 18, 5.9% from 18 to 24, 24.5% from 25 to 44, 25.4% from 45 to 64, and 19.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 91.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.2 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $90,109, and the median income for a family was $105,455 Males had a median income of $86,942 versus $57,718 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $22,000. About 1.5% of families and 1.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.2 of those under age 18 and 0.6% of those age 65 or over.
Current and former residents of South Valley Stream include:
- Jeffrey M. Friedman, discoverer of Leptin
- Esther Jungreis - founder of Hineni
- Nina L. Paul, author 
- Seth Rudetsky, composer, musical director and talk show host.
- Gary Portnoy, singer/songwriter, most notably the performer of the Cheers theme song.
- Larry Miller, comedian/actor
- Lon Babby, president of the Phoenix Suns
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Gans, Andrew. "Rhapsody in Seth’s Rudetsky Fights Back With Santorum Fund", Playbill, May 7, 2003. Accessed September 17, 2008. "In his self-penned, one-man show directed by Peter Flynn — Rhapsody in Seth — Seth Rudetsky recalls growing up in North Woodmere, Long Island, where he was praised for his musical gifts but ridiculed for being gay."