South Wimbledon tube station
The station entrance
Location of South Wimbledon in Greater London
|Local authority||London Borough of Merton|
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Fare zone||3 and 4|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|Original company||City and South London Railway|
|Added to list||25 June 1987|
|Lists of stations|
|London Transport portalCoordinates:|
South Wimbledon, originally South Wimbledon (Merton), is a London Underground station in south-west London. The station is on the Northern line, situated between Colliers Wood and Morden stations. The station is the southernmost station on the London Underground network which has platforms below ground (Morden tube station is further south, but is above ground). It is located on the corner of Merton High Street (A238) and Morden Road (A219). South Wimbledon is on the boundary between Travelcard Zone 3 and Zone 4.
South Wimbledon station is not actually in Wimbledon but was given this name as it was thought that Wimbledon had a higher social standing than its actual location of Merton. On the original plan it had the name "Merton Grove". For geographical accuracy, the station was originally named "South Wimbledon (Merton)" and it appeared as such on early tube maps and on the original station platform signage (although not on the station building at street level). The "(Merton)" part of the name gradually fell out of use.
- "Multi-year station entry-and-exit figures" (XLS). London Underground station passenger usage data. Transport for London. 2014. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "LONDON REGIONAL TRANSPORT STATION,INCLUDING ADJACENT SHOPS TO LEFT AND RIGHT SOUTH WIMBLEDON LONDON REGIONAL TRANSPORT STATION". National Heritage List for England. English Heritage.
- Cyril M. Harris. What's in a Name (2008 ed.). Capital Books/London Transport Museum. p. 64. ISBN 1-85414-241-0.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to South Wimbledon tube station.|
- London Transport Museum Photographic Archive
- More pictures of this station
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|