Southend Airport railway station
|The station building in April 2012|
|Local authority||Rochford, Essex|
|Managed by||Stobart Rail|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures and station information
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|2011/12||56,834 (station opened during year)|
|Original company||Network Rail|
|18 July 2011||Station opened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Southend Airport from Office of Rail Regulation statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Southend Airport railway station is a railway station on the Shenfield to Southend line in England which opened to passengers on 18 July 2011. The official opening ceremony was enacted by Minister for Transport Theresa Villiers MP on 21 September 2011. It serves London Southend Airport which is operated by Stobart Air; a new terminal building adjoining the station opened in February 2012. It also serves Sutton, Essex and northern parts of Southend on Sea. The station is staffed by Stobart Rail employees. It was designed by Atkins and constructed by Birse Rail.
This station eliminates the need to change at Rochford or one of the Southend stations in order to access the airport by train.
Platform 1, for trains to London Liverpool Street
As of July 2011[update] the typical Mon-Sat off-peak service is:
- 3 trains per hour to London Liverpool Street - All stations to Shenfield, then Stratford and Liverpool Street. One train an hour additionally calls at Romford.
- 3 trains per hour to Southend Victoria - Calling at Prittlewell only.
The Off peak service on Sundays is:
- 2 trains per hour to London Liverpool Street all stations to Romford then Stratford.
- 2 trains per hour to Southend Victoria .
From Monday to Saturday, the first trains arriving at the airport in either direction are the 04:05 from Southend Victoria and the 06:32 from London Liverpool Street.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Shenfield to Southend Line
Southend Victoria on Sundays
- "London Southend Airport opens station and control tower". BBC News. 18 July 2011. Retrieved 18 July 2011.
- "New London Southend Airport Railway Station OfficiallyOpens". London Southend Airport. 21 September 2011. Retrieved 21 September 2011.
- "Airport rail station to open next week". Echo Newspapers. "Stobart, not National Express, will employ the staff who man the station and meet passengers getting off the train"
- "Birse Rail joins forces with Stobart Rail to construct new railway station at Southend Airport". BalfourBeattyRail. Retrieved 28 July 2011. "Birse Rail is working with Stobart Rail, part of Stobart Group, to oversee the design and construction management of a new railway station at London Southend Airport."
Media related to Southend Airport railway station at Wikimedia Commons