|Founded||5 March 1999|
|Commenced operations||November 1999|
|Hubs||Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport
Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport,
|Parent company||Oak Hill Capital Partners|
|Key people||Daniel McHugh (CEO),
A U.S. FAA part 121 supplemental cargo carrier and portfolio company of Oak Hill Capital Partners, Southern Air, through an all-Boeing fleet of Boeing 777F, Boeing 747-400BDSF and Boeing 747-200F, provides a wide range of services, including long-term ACMI (aircraft, crew, maintenance, insurance), air cargo solutions, on-demand charters, Department of Defense Civil Reserve Air Fleet lift as well as humanitarian relief flights.
The airline was established on 5 March 1999, out of the assets of Southern Air Transport and started operations in November 1999.
In February and March 2010, Southern Air took delivery of two Boeing 777 freighters. At the same time, reflecting the change in direction provided by fresh corporate leadership, Southern Air introduced new aircraft livery as well as new corporate branding.
In early 2011, Southern Air entered into a multiple year contract with DHL Aviation; by utilizing the 777's fuel efficiencies, long range and cargo capabilities, SAI was able to augment DHL's overnight express package delivery service through hubs in Cincinnati, Bahrain, Hong Kong and Anchorage, increasing package delivery options provided by DHL to its customers.
In addition to DHL, Southern Air flies charter contracts for Korean Airlines, Lufthansa Cargo, MASkargo, Ethiopian Airlines, Saudia, TNT, UPS (seasonal) Centurion Air Cargo and the United States Department of Defense.
On 28 September 2012, Southern Air voluntarily filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection with the support of a majority of their key financial stakeholders. Daily operations are not affected.
In 2014, Southern Air took delivery of five 737-400SF passenger-to-cargo converted aircraft. 
|Boeing 737-400SF||3||2||Converted to cargo by Aeronautical Engineers, Inc|
|Boeing 747-400BDSF||3||-||Converted to cargo by Bedek Aviation Group|
|Boeing 777F||5||-||Operate for DHL Express.|
- "Contact Us." Southern Air. October 21, 2008. Retrieved on August 19, 2011. "Southern Air Inc. 117 Glover Avenue Norwalk, CT 06850"
- "Southern Air to start replacing 747 Classics with 747-400BDSF". Flightglobal.com. 2011-02-11. Retrieved 2012-05-17.
- "In the News Detail". Southernair.com. 2011-07-29. Retrieved 2012-05-17.
- "AEI DELIVERS THIRD DHL B737-400SF 11 PALLET CONVERSION TO SOUTHERN AIR". 2014-07-15. Retrieved 2014-07-19.
- "Southern Air Fleet Details and History - Planespotters.net Just Aviation". Planespotters.net. Retrieved 2012-05-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Southern Air.|