Southern Albanian Highlands
The Southern Albanian Highlands, also known as the Southern Mountain Region (Albanian: Krahina Malore Jugore), is one of the four physiogeographical regions of southern Albania, defined by high mountains and few valleys and plains between them. It is also one of the four geographical areas of Albania, the others being the Northern Mountain Range (the Albanian part of the Prokletije), the Western Lowlands (Albanian: Ultësira Bregdetare), and the Central Mountain Range, Albania (Albanian: Krahina Malore Qendrore).
The range notably includes two mountain chains: the Trebeshinë-Dhëmbel-Nemërçkë and Shëndelli-Lunxhëri-Bureto. It also includes the Tomorr in its northern part, the Mount Çika and the Ceraunian Mountains in the west, two mountains which are close to the Llogara National Park. The mountainous region of Kurvelesh is part of the range, while its coastal region is part of the Albanian riviera. The only notable plain in the region is the Vurg plain. The mean precipitation for November through January is 1,000 mm.
The Albanian Southern Mountain Range is followed further south by the Greek part of the Pindus mountains.
- Buletin, Volume 18: Krahinat gjeografike të Shqipërisë dhe karakteristikat e tyre (English: Geographic regions of Albania and their characteristics). State University of Tirana. 1964. p. 115. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- Knowlton, Marylee (March 2005). Albania. Marshall Cavendish. p. 8. ISBN 978-0-7614-1852-8. Retrieved 8 February 2011.
- Kressing, Frank; Kaser, Karl (2002). Albania—a country in transition: aspects of changing identities in a South-East European country. Nomos. p. 128. ISBN 978-3-7890-7670-1. Retrieved 8 February 2011.
- "PËR KRITERET TEKNIKE TË KLASIFIKIMIT TË KULLOTAVE E LIVADHEVE DHE PROCEDURAT PËR DHËNIEN E TYRE PËR KULLOTJE E KOSITJE BARI". Ministry of Environment of Albania. 2008. p. 1.
- Buletin, Volume 18: Krahinat gjeografike të Shqipërisë dhe karakteristikat e tyre (English: Geographic regions of Albania and their characteristics). State University of Tirana. 1964. p. 110. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- National Agency of Tourism. "Albania index".
- Regional Disease Vector Ecology Profile: Central Europe. DIANE Publishing. p. 45. ISBN 978-1-4289-1143-7.