Southern Avenue, Kolkata
Gol Park with Kalighat.It falls under the posh Ballygunge area. It is a 3 k.m. long road with a centre boulevard that runs east to west from Gariahat Road on the east to Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Road on the west touching Sarat Bose Road (near Lake Stadium) on its way..Southern Avenue, now renamed Dr Meghnad Saha Sarani, is one of the most important, posh and prestigious avenues in south Kolkata connecting
Rabindra Sarobar, earlier called Dhakuria Lake/Ballygunge Lake, an artificial lake, is on Southern Avenue. It comprises areas leased to several rowing clubs and cricket academies, a Safari garden, a virtually defunct children's park and play center (Lily Pool) an open air theater Nazrul Manch, swimming pool training centres, etc. Many prominent Roads either originate from or merge into Southern Avenue on its course either to its north or south, namely Keyatala Road, Jatin Bagchi Road, Lake Road, Lake View Road, Sarat Chatterjee Avenue, Lake Avenue, Lake Place, S R Das Road & Janak Road. Southern Avenue is dotted with beautiful private bungalows and several high rise apartments like 'Green View', 'Abhisarika', 'Ananda', 'Ashoka', 'Avenue House', 'Sarobar', 'Lake Towers', 'Arihant Garden' and the upcoming 'Fort Legend', to name a few. The lush green boulevard and tree lined sidewalks and the pristine surroundings of the lakes makes it a very sought after location in South Kolkata.
- Rabindra Sarobar or Dhakuria Lake; an artificial lake created when the area south of Kalighat was drained and new streets laid out by Calcutta Municipal Development Authority (CMDA).
- Birla Academy of Art and Culture
- Ramakrishna Mission Institution of Culture, Gol Park
- Lake Kalibari, still being constructed
- Indian Life Saving Society (ILSS), Kolkata, formerly called Anderson Club.
- Nazrul Manch, Kolkata
- Vivekananda Park
- Calcutta Rowing Club
- Bengal Rowing Club
- Lake Stadium
- AMRI Medical Centre
- Maruti Suzuki showroom "Auto Hitech"
- Medinova Diagnostic Centre
- Southern Plaza Hotel
- Menoka Cinema (on Sarat Chatterjee Avenue)
- Southern Avenue swimming club
- Nava Nalanda High School
One of the important places on the avenue is the Birla Academy of Art and Culture Museum which was established in 1966. Collections include paintings of the mediaeval period as well as modern art and some archaeological specimens. The Museum holds regular exhibitions of modern Indian sculptors and painters.
- The Grub Club Telephone: (033) 2464-5062
- China Bowl
- The French Loaf (on Jatin Bagchi Road)
- Marco Polo
- Tandoor House
- Oceania (Hotel Southern Plaza)
- The Silver Oak
- Casa Toscana (on Sarat Chatterjee Avenue)
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
See also 
|This Indian road or road transport-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|