Southern Cross Healthcare Group (New Zealand)
Southern Cross Healthcare Group, a collection of independent, health-oriented businesses in New Zealand, operates on not-for-profit principles and is New Zealand’s largest non-public healthcare organisation. The Group’s main areas of business include health insurance, private hospitals and travel insurance. The Group, not itself a legal entity, encompasses the Southern Cross Medical Care Society and the Southern Cross Health Trust.
Southern Cross Medical Care Society
Founded in 1961, the Southern Cross Medical Care Society, trading as Southern Cross Health Society, is a friendly society and New Zealand’s largest health insurer, with 818,000 members (as at mid-2013[update]), which represents a 61% market share. It funded more than NZ$640m of healthcare services in the year to 30 June 2013, mostly for elective surgical procedures. The Society also offers corporate wellness programmes. In the 2013 financial year, for every $1 of premium income, 88.1 cents was returned to members in claims for healthcare treatment.
Southern Cross Health Trust
The Southern Cross Health Trust owns:
- Southern Cross Hospitals Limited
- Southern Cross Benefits Limited (trading as Southern Cross Travel Insurance and Ellenco Pet Insurance)
- Southern Cross Primary Care Limited
Southern Cross Hospitals, established in 1979, is New Zealand’s largest private-hospital network, with 18 wholly owned and joint-venture facilities that deliver more than 65,000 elective surgical procedures annually. The hospitals include the Auckland Surgical Centre and North Harbour hospital.
Southern Cross Benefits Limited, established in 1982, operates as a direct-to-consumer travel-insurance brand (Southern Cross Travel Insurance) that provides cover for around 200,000 travellers annually in both New Zealand and Australia. And in 2012 SCBL acquired the Ellenco Pet Insurance business which by mid 2013 has around 11,000 policies in place.
- "About the Southern Cross Healthcare Group". Southern Cross Healthcare Group. Retrieved 29 June 2010.
- "Southern Cross Group". Southern Cross Healthcare Group. Retrieved 3 December 2011.
- "2013 Annual Report September 2013". Southern Cross Health Society.
- "2013 Annual Report, September 2013". Southern Cross Health Society.
- Southern Cross Healthcare Group (official company website)