Southern Daily Echo
Southern Daily Echo, 23 June 2009
|Publisher||Newsquest Media (Southern)|
|News editor||Gordon Sutter|
|Sports editor||Simon Carter|
|Photo editor||Paul Collins|
Test Lane, Southampton SO16 9JX
78,141 daily (total combined), 22,397 daily (print),55,744 daily (online)
|Sister newspapers||Hampshire Chronicle, Romsey Advertiser, Bournemouth Daily Echo|
The paper was first published in August 1888 and a website has been in existence since 1998.
The printed newspaper is published from Monday to Saturday and  there is one edition a day, down from six editions a day in 2006.
The Echo was initially a daily newspaper before becoming an evening paper and changing its name to the Evening Echo on 1 July 1958. It returned to being the Daily Echo again on 10 January 1994.
The Echo is currently the only paid-for local newspaper covering the city of Southampton.
The editorial position is that of a politically neutral publication.
On Saturdays, the Daily Echo produced Sports Pink is also sold. This is used for the reporting of sport stories regularly involving local sports team Southampton Football Club. This is one of only two surviving 'local football papers' which used to be common throughout the UK.
The newspaper moved to its current main offices in the Redbridge area of Southampton in 1997, with district offices in Winchester. The former city centre offices of the Daily Echo are now the site of the Above Bar entrance to the WestQuay Shopping Centre, which opened in 2000.
The Southern Daily Echo was named Newspaper of the Year 2009 and 2011, and Campaigning Newspaper of the Year 2011 at the annual EDF Energy South East and London Media Awards.
The newspaper's website, dailyecho.co.uk, won Website of the Year at the 2012 EDF Energy South East and London Media Awards.
The current editor is Ian Murray, who has edited the newspaper since 1998.
- "Select an installation profile | Drupal". Pressgazette.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-01-03.
- "Local World overtakes Newsquest and Johnston Press as regional press web traffic surges up". Press Gazette. Retrieved 2015-01-03.
- "Heritage | Nostalgia and memories of years gone by in Southampton and Hampshire". Daily Echo. Retrieved 2015-01-03.
- Daily Echo
- "Sport | The Pink | The best coverage of the Saints and sport in Hampshire". Daily Echo. Retrieved 2015-01-03.
- "Contact | Telephone numbers and email addresses for the". Daily Echo. Retrieved 2015-01-03.
- "Southampton Memories: People and Places... - Southampton Memories: People and Places". Facebook. Retrieved 2015-01-03.