Coordinates: 47°14′N 39°43′E / 47.233°N 39.717°E
Southern Federal District (Russian: Ю́жный федера́льный о́круг, Yuzhny federalny okrug) is one of the eight federal districts of Russia. Its territory lies mostly on the Pontic-Caspian steppe. Southern Federal District was called North Caucasian Federal District when it was founded in May 2000, but was renamed soon after for political reasons. On January 19, 2010, the Southern Federal District was split in two, with its former southern territories forming a new North Caucasian Federal District.
Its population was 13,854,334 (62.4% urban) according to the 2010 Census, living on an area of 589,200 square kilometers (227,500 sq mi).
The current Envoy is Vladimir Ustinov, former Justice Minister of Russia.
Federal subjects 
Presidential plenipotentiary envoys 
- Viktor Kazantsev (May 18, 2000–March 9, 2004)
- Vladimir Yakovlev (March 9, 2004–September 13, 2004)
- Dmitry Kozak (September 13, 2004–September 24, 2007)
- Grigory Rapota (September 24, 2007–May 12, 2008)
- Vladimir Ustinov (since May 12, 2008)
- ^ a b c d "Всероссийская перепись населения 2010 года. Том 1" [2010 All-Russian Population Census, vol. 1]. Всероссийская перепись населения 2010 года (2010 All-Russia Population Census) (in Russian). Federal State Statistics Service. 2011. Retrieved June 29, 2012.
- ^ Президент Российской Федерации. Указ №849 от 13 мая 2000 г. «О полномочном представителе Президента Российской Федерации в федеральном округе». Вступил в силу 13 мая 2000 г. Опубликован: "Собрание законодательства РФ", №20, ст. 2112, 15 мая 2000 г. (President of the Russian Federation. Decree #849 of May 13, 2000 On the Plenipotentiary Representative of the President of the Russian Federation in a Federal District. Effective as of May 13, 2000.).
External links