Southland College Preparatory Charter High School
|Southland College Preparatory Charter High School|
|4601 Sauk Trail
Richton Park, IL 60471
|Type||Comprehensive Public High School, Charter|
|Established||August 19, 2010|
|School district||Rich Township High School District 227|
|Principal||Blondean Y. Davis|
|Color(s)||Maroon & White|
The Southland College Preparatory Charter High School (SCPHS; also known as Southland College Prep, Southland College Prep High School, or simply Southland) is a college-preparatory charter high school located at 4601 Sauk Trail, Richton Park, Illinois.
Southland College Preparatory Charter High School was formed in 2010 by Blondean Y. Davis as an alternative for students of Rich Township High School District 227. Beginning with less than 125 students, the school has its origins in O.W. Huth Middle School. By April 2011 the freshman inaugural class had moved into the newly renovated school and district office. Previously a Prudential Insurance calling center, the purchase and renovation of the building totaled more than $10 million. Despite several attempts by District 227 officials to close the charter school and appeals made to the Illinois Court of Appeals, the charter school has remained open. It is the only one of its kind in the state of Illinois.
- "Southland College Preparatory Charter High School". trulia.com.
- Nolan, Mike (3 April 2011). "Southland Charter High School moves into new home". SouthtownStar.
- Barry, Richard (3 September 2011). "Southland College Prep Doubles Enrollment, Expands Faculty, Adds New Programs". Chicago Tribune.
- Toner, Casey (February 4, 2011) School charters a new course. southtownstar.chicagotribune.com
- Toner, Casey (December 30, 2011) Appeals court rules in favor of Southland Charter School. southtownstar.chicagotribune.com
|This Illinois school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|