Southport (CTA station)
The platforms at Southport
|Address||3411 North Southport Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60657
|Platforms||2 Side platforms|
|Opened||May 18, 1907|
|Owned by||Chicago Transit Authority|
|Passengers (2013)||1,043,857 3.3%|
Southport is a station on the Chicago Transit Authority's 'L' system. It is situated between the Paulina and Belmont stations on the Brown Line, which runs between Albany Park on Chicago's Northwest Side and downtown Chicago. It is an elevated station with two side platforms located at 3411 North Southport Avenue in Chicago's Lakeview community area.
Southport is situated on N. Southport Avenue, close to its intersection with W. Roscoe Street. The station is located in the Lakeview community area of Chicago; the area surrounding the station consists of a mixture commercial and residential areas.
Southport Station opened in 1907 as part of the Northwestern Elevated Railroad's Ravenswood line. In CTA's skip-stop service on the Brown Line, which was in operation from 1949 to 1995, Southport was a "B" station.
In 2006, the CTA began the Brown Line Capacity Expansion Project, which involved the renovation and reconstruction of all Brown Line stations to allow eight car trains to run on the line and to ensure that all stations met Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements. Southport Station was closed between April 2, 2007, and March 30, 2008, and was completely reconstructed.
Southport is part of the CTA's Brown Line, which runs between Albany Park and downtown Chicago. It is the tenth inbound station and is the last station on the Ravenswood branch. Brown Line trains serve Southport between 4.14AM and 2.27AM (following day) on weekdays and Saturdays, and between 5.14AM and 12.57AM (Monday) on Sundays; trains operate roughly every 3 to 10 minutes during rush hour, with longer headways of up to 15 minutes at night. 1,043,857 passengers boarded at Southport in 2013.
- "New 'L' Line Operated". Chicago Daily Tribune. May 19, 1907. p. 11.
- "Monthly Ridership Report: December 2013". Chicago Transit Authority. Retrieved 2014-04-14.
- Chicago Department of Zoning (2012). City of Chicago Zoning Map (Map).
- Garfield, Graham. "Southport". Chicago "L".org. Retrieved 2012-06-26.
- "Southport". Countdown to a New Brown. Chicago Transit Authority. Retrieved 2012-06-26.
- "Southport Station Timetable". Chicago Transit Authority. Retrieved 2012-06-26.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Southport (CTA).|
- Southport station page at the CTA website