Southwestern University of Finance and Economics
|Southwestern University of Finance and Economics|
Seal of SWUFE
|Motto in English||Diligently striving for the well-being of the people and nation|
|Location||Chengdu, Sichuan, People's Republic of China|
|Former names||四川财经学院, 光华大学成都分部 (成华大学)|
Southwestern University of Finance and Economics or SWUFE (Chinese: 西南财经大学; pinyin: Xīnán Cáijīng Dàxué, known colloquially as 西南财大 or Xīnáncáidà) is a prominent national university located in Chengdu, China. It is one of the top 3 specialist finance and economic universities under direct administration of the Ministry of Education (Republic of China) and has been selected as a Project 211 university by the Chinese government as part of the national endeavor to build world-class universities in the 21st century.
- 1 History
- 2 Organization
- 3 Library and Museum
- 4 International Relations
- 5 Alumni
- 6 Rankings
- 7 Student associations
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
The University was originally founded in Shanghai as Guanghua University in 1925. In 1938, during World War II, some faculties moved to the inland city of Chengdu to ensure the safety of the university. In 1946, the branch campus in Chengdu proclaimed independence and was renamed the private Chenghua University. In 1952, the university was transformed into the public Chenghua University and in 1952, it merged with schools and departments of business and economics from 16 other universities and colleges and was renamed Sichuan Institute of Finance and Economics. In 1980, People's Bank of China (PBC), took over the administration of the University and renamed it the Southwestern University of Finance and Economics (SWUFE) in 1985. PBC administered the university until the administration was transferred to the Ministry of Education in 2000. The university was listed in the “211 Project” in 1995. It became the pioneering university for national education reform in 2010 and was listed in the “985 Innovative Platforms for Key Disciplines Project” in 2011.
- Guanghua Campus, No. 55 Guanghuacun Street, Qingyang District
- Liulin Campus (Main campus), No. 555 Liutai Ave., Wenjiang District
Schools and Departments
- School of Statistics
- School of Business Administration
- School of Finance
- School of Accounting
- School of Economics
- School of International Business
- School of Public Finance and Taxation
- School of Law
- School of Public Administration
- Institute of Economic Mathematics
- College of International Education
- Research Institute of Economics and Management (RIEM)
At present, the university has 27 schools with 32 undergraduate majors (including centers and divisions) that attract high-quality and enthusiastic students from all parts of China. At present, SWUFE has over 16,000 registered full-time undergraduate students.
School of Finance
- Financial Engineering
- Finance Bilingual Experimental Class
- Guanghua Experimental Class of Creative Talents in Finance and Financial Plannin*ng
School of Insurance
- Insurance Studies
- Labor and Social Security
- Insurance Bilingual Class (Oriented to Actuarial Science, Insurance Finance and Accounting)
School of Securities and Futures
- Finance(Oriented to Securities and Futures)
School of Economics
- Economics(National Base Class for Training Talents in Economics)
School of International Business
- International Trade
- International Business
School of Business Administration
- Business Administration
- Tourism Management
- Logistics Management
- Business Administration Bilingual Class (Oriented to International Enterprise Management)
- Guanghua Experimental Class of Creative Talents(Oriented to Service and Management)
School of Accounting
- Accounting (CICPA)
- Financial Management
- Financial Management Bilingual Experimental Class (Oriented to International Financial Management)
- Accounting Bilingual Experimental Class （Oriented to International Accounting (CGA)）
- Accounting (Undergraduate Programs for Armed Police Students)
- Financial Management (Undergraduate Programs for Armed Police Students)
School of Public and Taxation
- Public Finance
School of Statistic
- Economic Statistics
- Management Science
- Guanghua Experimental Class of Creative Talents in Financial Statistics and Risk Management
School of Economic Information Engineering
- Information Management and Information System (Oriented to Business Intelligence)
- Computer Science and Technology (Oriented to Financial Internationalization)
- Electronic Commerce (Oriented to Payment and Settlement)
- Guanghua Experimental Class of Creative Talents in Financial Intelligence and Information Management
SWUFE if one of the earliest universities to offer graduate programs following the education reform of the 1970s. There are over 7,000 graduate students including over 6.000 Master's degree candidates and over 900 Doctoral degree candidates. In recent years the university has been vigorously engaging in the reform of the categorization of talent training to meet the demand of the society. The university launched the "Doctoral Degree Candidates Innovative Education Program" to explore alternative modes of graduate education and promote innovation of joint training of students in partnership with overseas educational institutions. The overall quality of academic degrees and graduate education has witnessed all-around improvement in recent years, which makes this university a significant training base for graduate students of economics an management.
Research and teaching
More than 160 professors, over 270 associate professors, and near 100 doctor supervisors work for the university. Furthermore, more than 400 economists, bankers, and senior corporate executives are invited to serve as professors emeritus. SWUFE was the first institution authorized to train MBA and CPA in southwestern China. It sponsors over 30 interdisciplinary and specialized research and teaching centers and enters into partnership with foreign education and business organizations. Some of them are the Center for PBC Simulated Banking Labs, Center for Business Foreign Languages Training (BFT) and China Actuary Training Center. The faculty and students of SWUFE have issued over 1200 papers on high-level domestic and international academic journals. The university is responsible for over 400 national/provincial projects and has won over 70 national/provincial awards. The university has hosted multiple international academic conferences and forums like “International Conferences on Financial Statistics and Financial Econometrics”, “Biennial Conference of Hong Kong Economic Association”, “Chinese Finance Annual Meeting”, “Chinese Management Annual Meeting”. The university sets up "Liu Shibai Economic Award" to promote research on economics throughout the nation. The university's journals Economist and The Science of Finance and Economics are two key journals in economic studies in China. The "Guanghua Forum", the university's platform for holding seminars and lectures, has also become a famous brand in the field.
Institute of Financial Studies (IFS)
The IFS was established on July 29, 2010. The research institute is dedicated to generating knowledge of international financial studies and the financial development in China. The director of the institute is Philip H. Dybvig. Dybvig is well known for publishing the Diamond–Dybvig model together with Douglas W. Diamond in 1983.
Library and Museum
Southwestern University of Finance and Economics (SWUFE) Library was founded in 1952. The total building area amounts to 50,000 square meters. The collection has reached 2,000,000 items in digital resources, making it the biggest library in southwest of China. In May 2002, a Translation Center was set up to provide services for overseas communication and editing and publishing the English version of SWUFE’s The Economist.
Money and Securities Museum
The university’s “Money and Securities Museum” was established in 1998 and is one of the earliest of its kind to have on exhibition various real financial items such as currencies, securities, certificates and cards which testify the times and planned economy and market economy. Over 60,000 items have been on exhibition in a hall of 700 square meters.
SWUFE started to enroll overseas students in 1996 and was listed as a key university for overseas student education by the Ministry of Education in 2001. At present the university offers 38 Doctoral degree programs, 67 Master’s degree programs and 32 Bachelor’s degree programs to overseas students. The university also has four Bachelor’s degree programs and two Master’s degree programs delivered completely in English and these programs have trained several thousand foreign students from over 100 countries.
International Partner Institutions
SWUFE has established cooperative relations with nearly 100 universities, financial institutes and enterprises from around 30 countries, including Austria, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, France, Germany, Israel, Japan, Netherlands, Russia, Slovenia, United Kingdom and the United States.
The Alumni Association of SWUFE was founded on October 13, 2007, with the celebration of the 55th anniversary of establishment. Wang Yuguo, the principal of SWUFE, assumes president of the Alumni Association. And there are 304 members in the first Alumni Association Council.
- Jiang Chaoliang (Chairman of Bank of Communications)
- Li Ruogu (Governor of the Exim Bank of China)
- Liu Jiayi (Auditor general of the National Audit Office of the People's Republic of China)
- Ma Weihua (President of China Merchants Bank)
- Shang Fulin (Chairman of China Banking Regulatory Commission)
- Tang Xu (Chief of The People’s Bank of China Research Bureau, secretary-general of China Society for Finance and Banking,
Director of Anti-money Laundering Bureau)
The China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC) ranked SWUFE #6 out of 88 participants, in its 2012 rankings of Chinese universities by subject, in the field of applied economics, with an overall score of 82. SWUFE was ranked #47 of China's Top 50 Universities, the annual academic listing compiled by Higher Education Research Center of Renmin University. SWUFE is currently ranked #4 amongst Chinese universities for finance and economics by the Chinese university ranking (Netbig).
Southwestern University of Finance and Economics has about 117 student associations covering five domains: thoughts and theories, academic and technology, arts and culture, physical training, public welfare and practice and communication. To name a few: the Research on Philosophy Club, MUN, Starting Point Drama Club, Hip-pop, Green Development Association，Oracle Club, etc.
- "Top 10 Chinese universities for applied economics study". China.org.cn.
- "Chinese university rankings 2013". Netbig.