Sovereign Hotel (Oregon)
Portland Historic Landmark
The former Sovereign Hotel on Broadway
|Location||710–716 SW Madison Street
|Area||less than one acre|
|Architect||Carl L. Linde|
|Architectural style||Georgian Revival|
|Governing body||Oregon Historical Society|
|NRHP Reference #||81000520|
|Added to NRHP||December 2, 1981|
The Sovereign Hotel was a Portland, Oregon, hotel built in 1923. The nine-story building was added to the United States' National Register of Historic Places on December 2, 1981. Part of the building houses a portion of the Oregon Historical Society’s Oregon History Center.
The Georgian-style building was designed by Carl L. Linde, and was also once known as the Sovereign Apartments. The Sovereign Hotel became the home of KFWV radio (later known as KWJJ) by September 1926, when the station moved from 385 E. 58th Street. In March 1927, KFWV moved its studios to the Broadway Theatre building.
The hotel was purchased by Harry Mittleman in 1938. Mittleman had constructed many Portland apartment buildings in the 1930s, and he converted the Sovereign into apartments shortly after acquisition. Mittleman sold the building in 1972.
In 1982, the Oregon Historical Society purchased the building to expand the Oregon History Center. On two sides of the building are eight-story tall murals painted in 1989 by Richard Haas. One side shows the Lewis & Clark Expedition, while the mural on the south side of the structure depicts the pioneer period in Oregon’s history.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- Portland Historic Landmarks Commission (July 2010), Historic Landmarks -- Portland, Oregon (XLS), retrieved November 13, 2013.
- "Oregon National Register List" (PDF). Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. June 6, 2011. p. 40. Retrieved February 13, 2015.
- Multnomah County, Oregon. NationalRegisterofHistoricplaces.com. Retrieved on February 29, 2008.
- Oregon History Center. Emporis. Retrieved on February 29, 2008.
- Manley, Paul (August 3, 1985). "Longtime apartment owner Harry Mittleman dies". The Oregonian (Portland, Oregon: Oregonian Media Group). p. 50.
- Dye, Elizabeth. Roundup at the OHS corral: The Oregon History Center goes under the knife. Willamette Week, November 13, 2002.
- Self-Guided Tour: Portland, Oregon. TravelPortland.com. Retrieved on February 29, 2008.
Media related to Sovereign Hotel (Portland, Oregon) at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about a property in Oregon on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|