Soviet Super Soldiers #1 (November 1992)
Cover art by Angel Medina and Jeff Albrecht
|First appearance||The Incredible Hulk #258 (April 1981)|
|Created by||Bill Mantlo
The Soviet Super-Soldiers are a fictional super team in the Marvel Comics universe.
Fictional team history
The Soviet Super-Soldiers were a superteam that was brought together by the Soviet government of Russia to be the counterpart of American teams such as the Avengers and the Fantastic Four. Professor Phobos founded this government program to locate and train superhuman beings in service of the state. The school's first student was Mikhail Ursus, who became known as Ursa Major. He was soon followed by siblings Laynia Petrovna and Nikolai Krylenko, who became known as Darkstar and Vanguard, respectively. These three mutants joined with Dmitri Bukharin, the fifth Crimson Dynamo, to form the initial lineup of the Soviet Super-Soldiers.
The three mutants later decided to sever their ties with the Soviet government, and expelled the Crimson Dynamo as he was still loyal to the KGB. The Gremlin joined the team for a time while wearing the Titanium Man armor, but he was killed in action.
Eventually, the team took on new members Blind Faith, Stencil, and Sibercat, and added former members of the Supreme Soviets: the third Red Guardian, Fantasia, Perun, and Sputnik, and the returning Crimson Dynamo. This team became known as the Winter Guard not long afterwards.
- DeFalco, Tom; Gilbert, Laura, ed. (2008). "1980s". Marvel Chronicle A Year by Year History. Dorling Kindersley. p. 201. ISBN 978-0756641238. "The Soviet Super-Soldiers, the Russian equivalent of the Avengers, were a team of super-powered individuals assembled by the Soviet government in this issue by writer Bill Mantlo and artist Sal Buscema."
- Mantlo, Bill (w), Buscema, Sal (p), Buscema, Sal; Milgrom, Al (i). "The Family That Dies Together...!" The Incredible Hulk v2, 259 (May 1981)
- Mantlo, Bill (w), Buscema, Sal (p), Buscema, Sal (i). "To Hunt the Hulk!" The Incredible Hulk v2, 258 (April 1981)
- Michelinie, David; Layton, Bob (w), Bright, M. D. (p), Layton, Bob (i). "Stark Wars Chapter 5: Red Snow" Iron Man 229 (April 1988)
- Nicieza, Fabian (w), Medina, Angel; Saltares, Javier (p), Albrecht, Jeff (i). "The Red Triangle Agenda" Soviet Super Soldiers 1 (November 1992)
- Busiek, Kurt (w), Chen, Sean (p), Cannon, Eric; Parsons, Sean (i). "Field of Honor" Iron Man v3, 9 (October 1998)
|This article on a Marvel Comics title is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|