Space Age Love Song
|"Space Age Love Song"|
|Single by A Flock of Seagulls|
|from the album A Flock of Seagulls|
|B-side||"Standing in the Doorway"
|Released||28 May 1982|
|Recorded||Battery Studios, London, 1981|
|Genre||New wave, post-punk, synthpop|
|Label||Jive Records (UK)
|Writer(s)||Mike Score, Paul Reynolds, Frank Maudsley and Ali Score|
|A Flock of Seagulls singles chronology|
"Space Age Love Song" is a 1982 single released by the British band, A Flock of Seagulls. It was their fourth single, with lukewarm chart results. It is one of their best known songs, and has been featured in most A Flock of Seagulls compilation albums. Lead guitarist Paul Reynolds remarked on their 1984 video album "Through the Looking Glass" that he thought of the song's title. He said that the band wrote and recorded it, but couldn't come up with the title. He suggested "Space Age Love Song" because he thought it sounded like a space age love song. His idea stuck as the song's permanent title.
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||68|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||31|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||34|
|US Billboard Hot 100||30|
|US Billboard Top Tracks||59|
|US Cash Box||35|
Oklahoma City natives The Flaming Lips covered the song on their freely distributed CD The Fearless Freaks – Film Premiere Bonus Bootleg Giveaway
In Popular Culture
- Weisbard, Eric; Marks, Craig (1995). Spin Alternative Record Guide. Vintage Books. ISBN 0-679-75574-8.
"Space Age Love Song" and "Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You)" summed up synth-pop's spaced-out loneliness, dreamy confections imagining absent lovers from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
- "Forum – ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts – CHART POSITIONS PRE 1989". Australian-charts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 12 January 2014.
- "Charts.org.nz – A Flock of Seagulls – Space Age Love Song". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 12 January 2014.
- "Archive Chart: 1982-06-26" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved 12 January 2014.
- "A Flock of Seagulls – Allmusic". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved 12 January 2014.
- CASH BOX Top 100 Singles – Week ending JANUARY 29, 1983 at the Wayback Machine (archived 11 September 2012). Cash Box magazine. Retrieved 1 January 2014.