United States Army Space and Missile Defense Command
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Space and Missile Defense Command)
"SMDC" redirects here. For other uses, see SMDC (disambiguation).
|Space and Missile Defense Command|
Shoulder Sleeve Insignia
|Active||October 1, 1997 -|
|Allegiance||United States Army|
|Part of||United States Strategic Command|
|Lieutenant General David Mann|
|Distinctive Unit Insignia|
The United States Army Space and Missile Defense Command (SMDC) is a specialized major command within the United States Army. The command was established in 1997. The SMDC is an organization composed of several components:
- SMDC Headquarters and the Force Development Integration Center in Redstone Arsenal, Alabama
- 1st Space Brigade, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado – consists of 1st Space Battalion, and 53rd Signal Battalion (SATCON). 117th Space Battalion (Colorado Army National Guard) is not part of 1st Space BDE and is controlled by the Nat. Guard. However, it has a Training, Readiness, Oversight (TRO) relationship with 1st Space BDE.
- 100th Missile Defense Brigade (GMD), Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado
- U.S. Army Space and Missile Defense Command / U.S. Army Strategic Command (Forward) located in Peterson AFB, Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Space and Missile Defense Technical Center (SMDTC)
- Space and Missile Defense Battle Lab (SMDBL)
- Space and Missile Defense Acquisition Center (SMDAC) based in Huntsville, Alabama; the SMDAC comprises:
- High Energy Laser Systems Test Facility (HELSTF), at White Sands Missile Range, New Mexico.
- U.S. Army Kwajalein Atoll/Reagan Test Site (USAKA/RTS), in the Republic of the Marshall Islands
- Army Space Program Office (ASPO) in Alexandria, Virginia
- Joint Land Attack Cruise Missile Defense Elevated Netted Sensors Project Office (JLENS) based in Huntsville, Alabama
- Ballistic Missile Targets Joint Project Office (BMTJPO) based in Huntsville, Alabama
- Associated Press, "U.S. Army tests new dirigible craft to detect cruise missiles", 20 April 2010.
- "USASMDC – Lieutenant General Kevin T. Campbell". January 2007. Archived from the original on 13 June 2007. Retrieved 11 April 2007.
- Official website
- Future Warfare Preparation: US Army Space & Missile Defense Command – animated dramatization of various missile defense scenarios (YouTube video made by Delta Research Inc for SMDC)
|This United States Army article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|