|Original author(s)||Red Hat|
|Initial release||June 2008|
|Stable release||2.2 / July 16, 2014|
|Written in||Java, Perl and Python|
|Available in||English, Francais, Bengali, Hindi, Japanese, Punjabi, Russian, Simplified Chinese, German, Spanish, Gujarati, Italian, Korean, Brazilian, Portuguese, Tamil, Traditional Chinese|
|License||GNU General Public License v2|
Spacewalk is open source systems management software developed by Red Hat. It was formerly the upstream version of the Red Hat Satellite, which was open sourced in 2008. Spacewalk includes the web interface and back-end, as well as Red Hat Proxy Server and associated client software of Satellite and makes them available to users and developers under a free and open source software (FOSS) license. The relationship between Spacewalk and Satellite was analogous to the relationship between Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Whereas Satellite manages only RHEL and Solaris systems, Spacewalk manages Fedora, CentOS, SUSE and Debian systems.
It is free software licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2. While formerly requiring the commercial Oracle Database as a backend, version 1.7 (released in March 2012) added support for PostgreSQL.
Satellite 5.3 was the first version to be based on upstream Spacewalk code.
Spacewalk and Red Hat Satellite are now in long-term support mode for Red Hat, as they were designed as monolithic tools that duplicated the Red Hat Network experience, but in an internal deployment. The design criteria were web-centric before the rise of cloud computing platforms like Openstack, and configuration management tools like Chef, Puppet. Red Hat chose open source components including Puppet and Foreman as the basis of Satellite 6, which was released in September 2014.
- "Spacewalk: Free & Open Source Linux Systems Management". redhat.com. Retrieved 2012-10-14.
- "PostgreSQL – spacewalk". Fedorahosted.org. 2012-03-07. Retrieved 2012-10-14.
- "Red Hat stretches Linux system management tentacle". The Register. 2009-09-02. Retrieved 2014-02-05.
- "Novell Rolls Out Advanced Linux Systems Management Solution". Novell.com. 2011-03-03. Retrieved 2012-10-14.
- "Satellite version 6 with Puppet, git, Foreman, Katello, Pulp and Candlepin included - questions on using Puppet".
- Official website
- Spacewalk on Fedorahosted.org
- Spacewalk on Freecode.com
- GitHub.com repository for Spacewalk
- Upstream for Red Hat's CloudForms the Fedora's project Katello
- Cloud Forms