|Original author(s)||Red Hat|
|Initial release||June 2008|
|Stable release||2.0 / July 19, 2013|
|Written in||Java, Perl and Python|
|Available in||English, Francais, Bengali, Hindi, Japanese, Punjabi, Russian, Simplified Chinese, German, Spanish, Gujarati, Italian, Korean, Brazilian, Portuguese, Tamil, Traditional Chinese|
|License||GNU General Public License v2|
Spacewalk is open source systems management software developed by Red Hat. It is the upstream version of the RHN Satellite Server, which was open sourced in 2008. Spacewalk includes the web interface and back-end, as well as RHN Proxy Server and associated client software of Satellite and makes them available to users and developers under a free and open source software (FOSS) license. The relationship between Spacewalk and Satellite is analogous to the relationship between Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Whereas Satellite manages only RHEL and Solaris systems, Spacewalk manages Fedora, CentOS, SUSE and Debian systems.
It is free software licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2. While formerly requiring the commercial Oracle Database as a backend, version 1.7 (released in March 2012) added support for PostgreSQL.
Satellite 5.3 is the first version to be based on upstream Spacewalk code.
- 1 Version history
- 1.1 2.0 19 Jul 2013 10:17 Major bugfixes
- 1.2 1.9 05 Mar 2013 11:00 Major bugfixes
- 1.3 1.8 03 Nov 2012 07:13 Major bugfixes
- 1.4 1.7 07 Mar 2012 22:57 Major bugfixes
- 1.5 1.6 23 Dec 2011 22:57 Major bugfixes
- 1.6 1.5 21 Jul 2011 15:09 Major bugfixes
- 1.7 1.4 26 Apr 2011 13:29 Major bugfixes
- 1.8 1.3 05 Feb 2011 12:57 Major bugfixes
- 1.9 1.2 22 Nov 2010 13:19 Major feature enhancements
- 1.10 1.1 13 Aug 2010 22:53 Major bugfixes
- 1.11 1.0 30 Apr 2010 12:58 Major
- 1.12 0.8 16 Feb 2010 15:55 Major bugfixes
- 1.13 0.7 04 Dec 2009 19:03 Major bugfixes
- 1.14 0.6 10 Aug 2009 11:53 Major bugfixes
- 1.15 0.5 31 Mar 2009 17:26 Major feature enhancements
- 1.16 0.4 16 Jan 2009 13:00 Major feature enhancements
- 1.17 0.3 14 Dec 2008 23:28
- 2 Future
- 3 References
- 4 External links
||This article is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (May 2013)|
2.0 19 Jul 2013 10:17 Major bugfixes
- Release Notes: This release added Fedora 19 support, basic auditing for things like user and system creation / deletion, and the ability to use an externally managed PostgreSql database. This release also includes further enhanced ABRT integration, more SCAP improvements, the ability to use Inter-Satellite Sync to transfer org and channel trust information as well as maintain the org ownership and visibility of custom channels, and faster rendering of the pages thanks to CSS3. New API methods were provided and several existing API methods were updated to fix bugs or add functionality.
1.9 05 Mar 2013 11:00 Major bugfixes
- Release Notes: This release added Fedora 18 support, additional integration with ABRT, SCAP improvements, and various WebUI improvements. Rhnmd now works with systemd, Spacewalk runs on a newer version of tomcat, spacewalk-repo-sync has various improvements, improvements were made to Kickstarting, and new reports were added to spacewalk-reports. New API methods were provided.
1.8 03 Nov 2012 07:13 Major bugfixes
- Release Notes: This release added Fedora 17 support, Oracle XE 11g support, extended OpenSCAP functionality, server-side support for registering ARM clients, integration with SUSE Studio was added, basic ABRT notification, distribution-channel mapping that can be customized per organization, a view of systems requiring reboot, an extra packages view, the ability to download comps information in spacewalk-repo-sync, yum group operations, WebUI and usability improvements, and PostgreSQL improvements. Cobbler 2.0 is now packaged in Spacewalk repos. Archived actions now can be deleted. New API calls were provided.
1.7 07 Mar 2012 22:57 Major bugfixes
- Release Notes: Monitoring is now working on the PostgreSQL database backend. Both database backends are feature-comparable. OpenSCAP integration. Fully asynchronous clearing of orphaned monitoring data. Stock rhnpush is able to push Debian packages. A new spacewalk-clone-by-date tool. Numerous spacecmd enhancements. Improved messages printed when certificate activation fails
1.6 23 Dec 2011 22:57 Major bugfixes
- Release Notes: IPv6 support; management and provisioning capabilities; support for Fedora 16 (server and client); kickstarting via Spacewalk Proxy with a CNAME; spacewalk-repo-sync supports --include and --exclude options; 16 new API calls; OSAD improvements; 5 security fixes; rhn-virtualization supports RHEV 3 hosts; spacewalk-reports supports a --where-<column-id> option to filter records; spacecmd enhancements and bugfixes; preliminary support for cobbler 2.2
1.5 21 Jul 2011 15:09 Major bugfixes
- Release Notes: It is possible to edit schedule of taskomatic jobs via WebUI. AutoYaST support was added. Fine-grained searching (the ability to disable fuzzy search) was implemented. The satellite-sync downloads rpm files in four concurrent threads. Spacewalk 1.5 can be installed on Fedora 15. Two API calls were modified. Four new API calls were added. 81 bugs were solved
1.4 26 Apr 2011 13:29 Major bugfixes
- Release Notes: Client packages were added for Debian and OpenSUSE. Support was added for IDN (except for the RHN Tools part). Issues in the PostgreSQL backend were fixed. System history reports were added in spacewalk-reports. Spacewalk-repo-sync now automatically creates errata from updateinfo
1.3 05 Feb 2011 12:57 Major bugfixes
- Release Notes: Spacewalk can now be installed and run on RHEL 6. Debian clients are now supported. Spacewalk on PostgreSQL can now be upgraded from older versions. Spacewalk on Oracle now uses Oracle InstantClient version 11g. Spacewalk Proxy now works with PostgreSQL. The tnsnames.ora file is no longer needed. New API calls were addfed and 123 bugs were resolved
1.2 22 Nov 2010 13:19 Major feature enhancements
- Release Notes: The PostgreSQL database backend can be used for limited operation. FV Xen and KVM guests can be re-provisioned. Large RPM support fixes were made. spacewalk-repo-sync was fixed. Staging content (prefetching content to clients in advance) was made more solid. Multiple WebUI pages were ported from Perl to Java. Localization was extended. Spacewalk now runs on Fedora 14. New API calls were added
1.1 13 Aug 2010 22:53 Major bugfixes
- Release Notes: Spacewalk 1.1 runs on Fedora 13. Introduction of spacecmd, a command line interface to Spacewalk. Support for synchronization of comps files. Support for staging content: the ability to have all updates pulled off Spacewalk onto registered systems prior to the start of the maintenance window. Support for eliminating orphaned (duplicate) profiles. New API calls. Localization updates. The first Spacewalk release built in a publicly available build system
1.0 30 Apr 2010 12:58 Major
- Release Notes: RHN Client code was improved. python-ugdev is now used instead of HAL. The Spacewalk Hostname Rename script was added for reconfiguration of Spacewalk server, in case its hostname or IP has changed. Many API additions were made, as well as improvements to existing API calls. RHN Proxy now uses mod_wsgi. Tomcat 6 was added for Fedora 12. Delete Systems script was added. Many bugs were fixed and general code clean up was done to support the 1.0 release
0.8 16 Feb 2010 15:55 Major bugfixes
- Release Notes: Packages with checksums other than MD5 are now supported. The Spacewalk server and proxy can serve and accept RPMs with SHA256 digests, show the checksums in webUI, and accept them in API calls. mod_wsgi is used instead of mod_python on Fedora 11 and Fedora 12. Performance of System Set Management when working with thousands of packages was improved. The performance of the API was improved. A number of bugs were fixed in Fedora 12, both on client and server side. Kickstarts and kickstating via proxy were improved. Client hardware information reporting was improved. Basic support for cobbler 2.0 version was added
0.7 04 Dec 2009 19:03 Major bugfixes
- Release Notes: Spacewalk is now installable on Fedora 12. The repository has been split into server and client parts. The new script "spacewalk-report" allows you to create reports with output to CSV files. Pages with erratas have columns with links to the CVE description, and erratas can be filtered by type. Spacewalk now tracks the date and time of package installation. Support for WebUI-based KVM guest management and provisioning. Config channels now can handle symlinks. A new "monitoring-data-cleanup" script allows you to delete old monitoring data. Client tools now can report diffs in SELinux context. There are many bugfixes(less)
0.6 10 Aug 2009 11:53 Major bugfixes
- Release Notes: This version is now available for Fedora 11. Support for SHA256 in rpm was added. Support was added for rpm files larger than 2 GB. The ability to import a yum repo into a channel was added. Script based reporting was added. The use of jabberd was improved. KVM support was added. Several new APIs were added. Monitoring was fixed. 100 bugs were fixed(less)
0.5 31 Mar 2009 17:26 Major feature enhancements
- Release Notes: Spacewalk is now installable on Fedora 10. Repomd generation has been refactored to be a Taskomatic process. There is a new kickstart/cobler script editor. More API in the channel.software namespace. 91 bugs have been fixed(less)
0.4 16 Jan 2009 13:00 Major feature enhancements
- Release Notes: Integration with Cobbler and Koan was added. Organization trusts and channel sharing were introduced. An enhancement was made to work better with multi-arch packages on 64-bit systems. A new set of APIs was added, including the following namespaces: channel.access.*, channel.org.*, and package.*. SELinux support was added. The ability to search documentation was added. The help page was updated to include API documentation and documentation search. More Perl to Java migrations were done. Satellite-httpd was removed in favor of using the standard httpd.
0.3 14 Dec 2008 23:28
Spacewalk and RHN Satellite are in long-term support mode for Red Hat, as they were designed monolithic to duplicate the RHN experience that customer saw in 2001 on Red Hat website to be internally deployed into a company or organization intranet. Therefor the design criteria were web centric before the cloud and system management tooling such as Chef and Puppet & cfengine or other 3rd party tooling openstack . So Red Hat has focus most of its main efforts on new plot projects such as Fedora's Katello and Red Hat commercial offering of CloudForms to replace the functionality of Spacewalk and RHN Satellite .  
- "Spacewalk: Free & Open Source Linux Systems Management". redhat.com. Retrieved 2012-10-14.
- "PostgreSQL – spacewalk". Fedorahosted.org. 2012-03-07. Retrieved 2012-10-14.
- [dead link]
- "Novell Rolls Out Advanced Linux Systems Management Solution". Novell.com. 2011-03-03. Retrieved 2012-10-14.
- Official website
- Upstream for Red Hat's CloudForms the Fedora's project Katello
- Cloud Forms