Spanish cruiser Conde del Venadito
Conde de Venadito in 1895
|Name:||Conde de Venadito|
|Namesake:||Count of Venadito|
|Builder:||Naval shipyard Cartagena|
|Launched:||15 August 1888|
|Completed:||1888 or 1889|
|Class & type:||Velasco-class|
|Length:||210 ft 0 in (64.01 m)|
|Beam:||32 ft 0 in (9.75 m)|
|Draft:||13 ft 8 in (4.17 m) maximum|
|Installed power:||1,500 ihp|
|Propulsion:||1-shaft, horizontal compound, 4-cylinder boilers|
|Complement:||173 officers and enlisted|
|Armament:||4 x 4.7 inch (120-mm) guns
4 × 6 pdr guns
1 x machine gun
2 × 14 inch (356-mm) torpedo tubes
|Notes:||200 to 220 tons of coal (normal)|
Conde de Venadito was built at the naval shipyard at Cartagena, Spain. Her keel was laid in 1883, she was launched on 15 August 1888, and she was completed in 1888 or 1889. She had one rather tall funnel. She had an iron hull and was rigged as a barque. She was stricken in 1907. Her hull was sunk as a target ship in 1936.
In March 1895, Conde de Venadito was involved in an incident with the American merchant ship Allianca off Cape Maisí, Cuba. The Spanish ship attempted to stop Allianca for search on suspicion of filibustering, or smuggling arms to the insurgents in Cuba. The American ship failing to stop, the Spanish vessel fired several solid shots at the merchant ship during an unsuccessful chase of about 20 miles. This touched off much sensational reporting in the American press and is credited by many with crystallizing anti-Spanish sentiment in the American public in the years preceding the Spanish-American War.
- Escobén magazine, February 8 2004(Spanish)
- Wisen, pg. 71
- Chesneau, Roger, and Eugene M. Kolesnik, Eds. Conway's All The World's Fighting Ships 1860–1905. New York: Mayflower Books Inc., 1979. ISBN 0-8317-0302-4.
- Gray, Randal, Ed. Conway's All The World's Fighting Ships 1906–1921. Annapolis, Maryland: Naval Institute Press, 1985. ISBN 0-87021-907-3.
- Wisan, Joseph. The Cuban Crisis as reflected in the New York Press. New York: Octogon Books, 1965.
- Department of the Navy: Naval Historical Center: Online Library of Selected Images: Spanish Navy Ships: Conde del Venadito (Cruiser, 1888-1902)