|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014)|
|Products||Grocery stores, convenience stores, discount stores, hypermarkets and more|
|Revenue||€31.1 billion (2011)|
Spar (trademarked as SPAR) is a Dutch multinational retail chain  and franchise with approximately 12,500 stores in 35 countries worldwide. It was founded in the Netherlands in 1932 by retailer Adriaan van Well. Through its affiliate organisations, Spar operates through most European countries, parts of Africa, Asia and Oceania. It is headquartered in Amsterdam.
The name was originally DE SPAR, an acronym of the Dutch phrase Door Eendrachtig Samenwerken Profiteren Allen Regelmatig (English: through united co-operation everyone regularly profits). De Spar is Dutch for "The spruce", hence Spar's logo. As the organisation expanded across Europe, the name was abbreviated by dropping "DE".
The word Spar means "to save [money]" in some Germanic (among them German) and Scandinavian languages.
- In Italy, the name is still Despar, though in keeping with the international branding, the "Spar" section of the logo is highlighted, and the larger stores are still called Eurospar and Interspar.
- In Japan some stores operate under the name Hotspar, although the store logo colouring remains unchanged.
Spar was founded in 1932 in the Dutch town of Zegwaart (now Zoetermeer). In 1953 an International Spar office opened in Amsterdam to control and further develop the organisation throughout Europe and other continents. Most Spar stores are in Europe, but they can also be found in a few countries outside of Europe, such as Nigeria, South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Swaziland, Australia, Mauritius, China, India, Japan, Vanuatu. and Angola.
A Spar store may be owned independently, by a franchisee, or be part of a chain, depending on the model applied in any given country. The owners of the parent company vary from country to country and may include the store owners themselves. The name and the current logo was most recently revised in 1968 by Raymond Loewy and has remained unchanged ever since.
In the United Kingdom Spar has become known primarily as a convenience store, although in Northern Ireland Spar operates using the subformat Eurospar as well. Spar opened in the Republic of Vanuatu on 1 December 2009 ending Au Bon Marché's grocery monopoly.
The Dutch Spar is a member of Superunie, an inventory purchasing organization for a number of otherwise unaffiliated supermarket brands.
In July 2014 SPAR Group South Africa opened its first supermarket in Angola. In August 2014 the group acquired 80% of the BWG Group, which had outlets in Ireland and southwest England.
- Eurospar and Superspar
The Eurospar name is used for this format in Europe and Superspar in South Africa. These are mid-sized supermarkets. They are designed to fit in a niche between convenience stores and traditional supermarkets.
This is the smallest store type. They are designed for small sites and service station forecourts. They are called Kwikspar in South Africa.
- Spar Drive-Thru
- Spar Gourmet
Some small Spar stores in Austria are called Spar Gourmet since the Austrian Spar Group took over the supermarket chains Julius Meinl in 2000. The standard range is extended to local and global delicacies.
Not all of these brands or formats are used in every country.
International statistics (2011)
|Country||Sales (in 1000s)||No. of stores||Sales area (m²)||Sales per area||Average store
|Angola||€40,838||1||The Spar Group Ltd|
|Belgium||€813,500||291||137,743||€5,905/m²||473||Colruyt and Lambrechts|
|Botswana||€97,506||26||23,249||€4,193/m²||894||The Spar Group Ltd.|
|Italy||€3,855,662||1,549||831,423||€4,637/m²||537||10 licence partners|
|Namibia||€127,706||27||27,670||€4,615/m²||1,025||The Spar Group Ltd.|
|South Africa*||€4,628,469||806||874,810||€5,290/m²||1,085||The Spar Group Ltd.
|Switzerland||€455,094||169||69,838||€6,516/m²||426||SPAR Handels AG|
|United Kingdom||€3,189,273||2,504||357,860||€8,912/m²||143||Spar (UK) Limited|
* Including stores (4) in Swaziland.
- Dutch pronunciation: [spɑr]
- "SPAR corporate nationality - SPAR". Spar.ie. Retrieved 2 October 2014.
- "SPAR Countries - SPAR". Spar-int.com. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- "Contact Information - SPAR". Spar-int.com. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- Dutch pronunciation: [doːr eːnˈdrɑxtɪx ˈsaːmə(n)ʋɛrkə(n) proːfiˈteːrə(n) ˈɑlə(n) reːɣəlˈmaːtəx]
- http://wotnews.com.au/like/spar_australia_opens_first_vanuatu_store_aus/4338574/[dead link]
- "SPAR". Raymond Loewy Foundation. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- [dead link]
- "SPAR to open 24 more hypermarkets in next two years". Sify.com. 28 January 2011. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- Boulder Brands CEO Stephen Hughes (3 February 2011). "Spar looks to expand Czech supermarket chain". Just-food.com. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- Northern Ireland Assembly Information Office. "Northern Ireland Assembly Committee for Social Development - Inquiry into Town Centre Regeneration Report: 14/09/10R". Archive.niassembly.gov.uk. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- derStandard.at (24 February 2008). "Chronologie: Von Konsum bis Rewe - Handel - derStandard.at " Wirtschaft". Derstandard.at. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- [dead link]
- "Spar UK Limited". Opencompany.co.uk. Retrieved 17 April 2014.