Spark (U.S. organization)
|Part of a series on|
The Spark group is a US Trotskyist organization. It is aligned internationally with the Lutte Ouvrière tendency.
Spark began as a faction within the Spartacist League that was attracted to the French group Voix Ouvrière method of propagandizing in the factories. They were allied against the leadership with the Turnerites, but left independently before the Turnerites were expelled late in the year. This tendency formally organized as Spark in 1971 with two locals in Detroit and Baltimore.
The organization began a monthly magazine The Spark in July 1971, which became a biweekly in early 1976. It also produced a variety of newsletters based at local factories, such as the Ford Spark, Eldon Spark etc. Another magazine, Class Struggle, began in 1980.
The movement was wary of becoming too enmeshed in "petty bourgeoisie" movements, and wished to firmly base themselves in the proletariat. But neither did they completely eschew work in such movements. For instance, referring to the anti-nuclear movement of the late 1970s and early 1980s, they proclaimed "They should participate in its activities when such participation does not detract from their basic activity in the working class. But we must be clear that the building of a revolutionary organization rooted in the working class comes before participation in any petty bourgeoisie movement"
- Alexander, Robert International Trotskyism: a documented analysis of the world movement Durham, Duke University Press 1991 p. 920
- Alexander p. 929
- Alexander p.930
- cited in Alexander pp. 930–931
- Alexander p. 931
- The people's democracies: are they socialist states?: the meaning of their present evolution toward a liberation by Voix Ouvriere Detroit, MI: The Spark, 1966
- For a Trotskyist organization in the working class Baltimore : The Spark, 1971
- Chile 1973: the tragedy of frontist politics Detroit, MI : The Spark, 1973
- The double nature of the mass communist parties Detroit, MI : The Spark, 1976
- Workers states or bourgeois?: what determines the class nature of a state? Detroit, MI : The Spark, 1976
- Revolutionaries and trade union activity: reprints of articles from the class struggle Detroit, MI : The Spark, 1977