Speak of the Devil (book)
|Speak of the Devil: tales of satanic abuse in contemporary England|
|Subject||Satanic ritual abuse|
|Publisher||Cambridge University Press|
|Dewey Decimal||364.15/554/0941 21|
|LC Class||HV6626.54.G7 L3 1998|
Speak of the Devil: tales of satanic abuse in contemporary England is a scholarly book by Jean LaFontain published in 1998 that discusses her investigation of allegations of satanic ritual abuse made in the United Kingdom. The book documents a detailed investigation of the accounts of children during a wave of allegations of satanic ritual abuse, as well as the processes within the social work profession that supported the allegations despite a lack of evidence.
The book was reviewed by Joel Best, T. M. Luhrmann James Beckford and I. K. Wier. Robin Woffitt of the University of Surrey praised the book for clearly describing the origins of the satanic ritual abuse moral panic in the United Kingdom.
Subsequent academic reception
The English archaeologist Timothy Taylor critically discussed Fontaine's work in his book The Buried Soul: How Humans Invented Death (2002). He compared the work to the anthropologist William Arens' 1979 book The Man-Eating Myth, which he described as a "hollow certainty of viscerally insulated inexperience". Asserting that Arens' uses a flawed methodology that has echoes of Speak of the Devil, Taylor himself suggests that multiple claims of the Satanic ritual abuse have been incorrectly dismissed for being considered "improbable".
- La Fontaine, J. S. (1998). Speak of the Devil: allegations of satanic abuse in Britain. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-62934-9.
- Wooffitt, R. Book review - Speak of the Devil: Tales of Satanic Abuse in Contemporary England 3 (2). Sociological Research Online.
- Best, J; Fontaine, J. S. La (1999). "Reviewed work(s): Speak of the Devil: Tales of Satanic Abuse in Contemporary England by J. S. La Fontaine". Contemporary Sociology (American Sociological Association) 28 (1): 107–108. doi:10.2307/2653911. JSTOR 2653911.
- LUHRMANN, TM (2000). "Reviews - Speak of the Devil. Tales of satanic abuse in contemporary England. BY J. S. LA FONTAINE". Social Anthropology 8 (1): 79–89. doi:10.1017/S0964028200230085.
- Beckford, JA (1999). "Book Review - J. S. La Fontaine, Speak of the Devil: Tales of Satanic Abuse in Contemporary England". Sociology 33 (1): 217–218.
- Weir, IK (1999). "Book Reviews - Speak of the Devil: Tales of Satanic Abuse in Contemporary England. By J. S. La Fontaine". Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 40 (5): 829–832.
- Taylor 2002. pp. 280–283.