List of Speakers of the Parliament of Singapore
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011)|
|Speaker of the Parliament of Republic of Singapore|
|Style||Mr Speaker (Male)
Madam Speaker (Female)
|Nominator||Lee Hsien Loong|
|Appointer||Parliament of Singapore
With the recommendation of the Prime Minister
|Term length||Depended on the Parliamentary life, renewable.|
|Inaugural holder||Sir George Oehlers|
|Formation||5 June 1955|
|Deputy||Deputy Speaker of the Parliament of Singapore|
|Salary||S$550,000 annually |
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The role of the Speaker in Singapore is similar to that in most Commonwealth legislatures. The Speaker presides over the Parliament and enforces the rules in the Standing Orders of Parliament to allow for the orderly conduct of parliamentary business. The Speaker may or may not be an elected Member of Parliament (MP). Speakers that are MPs must remain impartial and cannot participate in parliamentary debates nor vote on issues and motions in the House.
List of Speakers
A historical list of speakers is set out below:
|#||Speaker||Years of service||Political party (if any)|
|1||Sir George Oehlers||1955–1963||Non-MP; lawyer|
|2||Edmund W. Barker||1963–1964||People's Action Party|
|3||A. P. Rajah||1964–1966||Former MP and lawyer|
|4||Punch Coomaraswamy||1966–1970||Non-MP; lawyer|
|5||Dr Yeoh Ghim Seng||1970–1989||People's Action Party|
|6||Tan Soo Khoon||1989–2002||People's Action Party|
|7||Abdullah Tarmugi||2002–2011||People's Action Party|
|8||Michael Palmer||2011–2012||People's Action Party|
|-||Charles Chong (Acting)||2012–2013||People's Action Party|
|9||Halimah Yacob||2013–present||People's Action Party|
List of Deputy Speakers
The following table contains a list of Deputy Speakers of Parliament:
|Deputy Speaker||Years of service||Political party (if any)|
|Dr. Fong Kim Heng||1963–1965|
|Dr Yeoh Ghim Seng||1968–1970||People's Action Party|
|Tang See Chim||1972–1981|
|Hwang Soo Jin||1981–1985|
|Tan Soo Khoon||1985–1989||People's Action Party|
|Lim Boon Heng||1989–1991||People's Action Party|
|Abdullah Tarmugi||1989–1993||People's Action Party|
|Eugene Yap Giau Cheng||1993–2002||People's Action Party|
|Lim Hwee Hua||2002–2004||People's Action Party|
|Chew Heng Ching||2002–2006||People's Action Party|
|S. Iswaran||2004–2006||People's Action Party|
Matthias Yao Chih
|2006–2011||People's Action Party|
Seah Kian Peng
|2011–present||People's Action Party|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Speakers of the Parliament of Singapore.|
- "Speaker of Parliament accepts salary recommendations". Asiaone. Jan 16, 2012. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- Speaker of Parliament, Parliament of Singapore, 18 October 2011.
- Joshua Yeong Jia Chia (26 June 2006), Sir George Edward Noel Oehlers, Singapore Infopedia, National Library Board.
- Joshua Yeong Jia Chia (28 June 2006), Arumugam Ponnu Rajah, Singapore Infopedia, National Library Board.
- Bonny Tan (17 April 1999), Punch Coomaraswamy, Singapore Infopedia, National Library Board.
- Elgin Toh (11 October 2011), "Debate in right spirit: Different views should not stop MPs from closing ranks, says newly elected Michael Palmer", The Straits Times: A6; "Michael Palmer sworn in as House Speaker", Today, 11 October 2011: 2, archived from the original on 11 October 2011.
- "Halimah Yacob is Singapore's first woman Speaker of Parliament". Channel Newsasia. 14 January 2013. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- Rachel Chang (18 October 2011), "MPs push for change in Govt–citizen ties: It must boost emotional connection in new landscape, they urge", The Straits Times: A1 & A4 at A4, "Before the debate began, two deputy speakers to assist Speaker Michael Palmer were approved by the House. They are Joo Chiat SMC MP Charles Chong and Marine Parade GRC MP Seah Kian Peng."; Esther Ng (18 October 2011), "President's speech sees robust debate: Opposition asks if Government will 'conspicuously focus' on happiness", Today: 1, archived from the original on 18 October 2011.