Special Agent Oso
|Special Agent Oso|
|Special Agent Oso|
|Voices of||Sean Astin
Gary Anthony Williams
|Theme music composer||Ford Riley|
|Country of origin||United States
|No. of series||2|
|No. of episodes||61 (List of episodes)|
|Running time||12 minutes|
Absolute Digital Pictures
Next New Networks
Walt Disney Television Animation
|Distributor||Lyrick Studios (December 25, 2009 -present )|
|Original channel||Disney Channel
|Picture format||480i (4:3 SDTV)
1080i (16:9 HDTV)
|First shown in||United States|
|Original run||April 4, 2009– May 17, 2012|
Special Agent Oso is a Disney Channel interactive animated series created by Ford Riley. Special Agent Oso hit the air on April 4, 2009 with a six episode block, and the companion 15-episode series Three Healthy Steps first aired from February 14 to February 27, 2011. The program was originally part of the Playhouse Disney block intended for preschoolers. On February 14, 2011, it was moved to the Disney Junior block that served as Playhouse Disney's replacement. It is shown on Mini CITV and ITV1 at 06:35am Sundays. The show will stay on Disney Junior because it is one of the main shows shown on Playhouse Disney.
Cast and Characters
|Character's name||Voiced by in the English version||Character description|
|Special Agent Oso||Sean Astin||The colorful special agent teddy bear who helps children perform tasks such as blowing bubbles, making a card or cleaning their rooms; he is the main character of the series. His name 'oso' is Spanish for 'bear'. He and his friends work for U.N.I.Q.U.E. (The United Network for the Investigation of Quite Unusual Events).
The show was designed for encouraging and educational purposes.
|Paw Pilot||Meghan Strange||Oso's computerized assistant who guides Oso through the "three special steps" he needs to accomplish his current mission. Her name is a reference to the Palm Pilot series of handheld computers.|
|Mr. Dos||Gary Anthony Williams||Oso's boss, a mysterious figure that assigns Oso missions. Mr. Dos is never actually seen; only his voice is heard on Oso's watch-communicator.|
|Special Agent Wolfie||Phill Lewis||A blue stuffed wolf; one of the special agent animals that regularly oversee Oso's training.|
|Special Agent Dotty||Amber Hood||A spotted orange stuffed cat with a Southern accent; the other special agent animal that regularly oversees Oso's training. It's hinted that she may have feelings for Oso.|
|Professor Buffo||Brad Garrett, later voiced by Jess Harnell||A slightly clumsy and excitable Italian-speaking buffalo who is the inventor of Oso's gadgets. Introduced in the Season 2 episode, "From China with Love".|
|Special Agent Musa||N/A||A silent, dark brown squirrel ninja, the "master of stealth and speed." Introduced in the Season 2 episode, "Table Manners are Forever".|
|Whirly Bird||Cam Clarke||Oso's talking bird-shaped autogyro, who takes Oso to wherever someone needs help. He doesn't hear very well and often misunderstands what Oso tells him, which usually leads to Oso's ejection at inopportune moments and places.|
|R.R. Rapide||Cam Clarke||Oso's French-speaking train. Though his French accent would suggest a TGV, he is likely a reference to the Fastech 360, based on his shape and retractable speedbrake ears.|
|Shutterbug||N/A||A ladybug-shaped robotic camera, who keeps an eye out for children who need help. She doesn't speak. Appears only in the English version.|
- Rowan Atkinson as Tyler
- Matthew Broderick as Lin
- Rosario Dawson as Mia
- Lisa Ortiz as Faith
- Rebecca Honig as Sarah
- John C. Reilly as Liam
- Jonathan Taylor Thomas as Joe
- Niketa Calame as Katie/Tara
- Jason David Frank as Rasheed
- Steve Cardenas as Aiden
- Wilmer Valderrama as Handy Manny
- Nika Futterman as Stretch & Squeeze
- Carlos Alazraqui as Felipe
- Dee Bradley Baker as Turner
- Tom Kenny as Pat
- Fred Stoller as Rusty
- Kath Soucie as Dusty
- Nancy Truman as Kelly
- Roger Craig Smith as John/Michael
- Stefanie Scott as Briana/Emma
- Dan Russell as Andrew
- Andrew Rannells as Noah
- Darren Dunstan as Grayson
- Madison Pettis as Katie/Tara
- Nathan Lane as Briana's Dad/Emma's Dad
- Lara Flynn Boyle as Isabella's Mom
- Rosario Dawson as Tyler's Mom
- Megan Hollingshead as David's Mom
- Jeremy Irons as Nave's Dad
- James Earl Jones as Mr. Thompson
- Madge Sinclair as Maya's Mom
- Mel Brooks as Grandpa Mel
Each episode is composed of four components:
- The Three Special Steps are the steps that Paw Pilot gives Oso to follow when he is on his special assignments. Oso has a matter of time to finish the three special steps. The third step is usually timed.
- The training exercises are Oso's training task. They are given by Wolfie or Dotty. Oso usually fails on the first try such as falling and breaking stuff, but in the course of completing the special assignments he remembers something about the training exercise, thanks to the person he is helping. He tries a second time and completes the training exercise, then earns a "Digi-Medal.
- Audience participation or interaction with Oso. Sometimes, Oso will ask the audience to help him find something hidden or missing on the screen. Other times, Oso will ask the audience to try something physically demanding that he is doing.
- The special assignments are missions that Oso is requested to complete by the mysterious Mr. Dos, in order to help a child in need. Oso tries to complete the Three Special Steps that Paw Pilot gives him. Then he earns a "Digi-Medal".
The show has 60 episodes; 24 in the first season and 36 in the second. The episode names are usually references to the names of James Bond films, such as "Three Wheels Are Not Enough" and "The Boy with the Golden Gift". The first two seasons contain at least one episode title that parodies all 24 of the existing Bond films with the exception of "Skyfall" which was released after Season 2 was concluded. Some episode titles also parody the Carly Simon song "Nobody Does it Better" which is the popular theme song to "The Spy Who Loved Me."
Three Healthy Steps
Special Agent Oso: Three Healthy Steps is a short series that airs in the United States and the United Kingdom during the Disney Junior programming block. It encourages children to use "three healthy steps" regarding eating, being heathly and exercising.
Characters that are featured in the short series are Special Agent Oso, Paw Pilot, Special Agent Wolfie, Special Agent Dotty, and Professor Buffo.
- Official website
- Disney Channel press release for Special Agent Oso
- Special Agent Oso at the Big Cartoon DataBase
- Special Agent Oso on TV.com
- Special Agent Oso on LOVEFiLM
|Playhouse Disney Shows