Special Forces of India
The Special Forces of India refer to those units which are under the direct command of the Indian military and specifically organized, trained, and are equipped to conduct and support special operations.
It is a special force unit of the Indian Army. It was derived from the Meghdoot Force, which saw action during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965. The Para Commandos were first deployed in the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971. They took part in the 1984 Operation Blue Star. They were deployed in Sri Lanka in 1980s during India's involvement in the civil war, codenamed Operation Pawan. They also saw action in the Operation Cactus in 1988 in Maldives and in the 1999 Kargil War.
This unit was created in 1987 by the Indian Navy. They saw action during Operation Pawan in 1988. They were also a part of Operation Cactus in 1988. They have also been deployed in Wular Lake which was a major infiltration point for terrorists.
During the 2008 Mumbai Attacks, MARCOS had participated in the operations along with the National Security Guards. The MARCOS, which had a base in Alibag, could have been called in much earlier, but were delayed due to bureaucratic indecision.
Indian Air Force
Garud Commando Force
- Paramilitary forces of India
- Central Armed Police Forces
- State Armed Police Forces
- Ghatak Force, a special operations capable infantry platoons present in every Indian Army battalion.
- Chindits, a special operations unit of the colonial British Indian Army.
- National Security Guard, an anti-terrorist unit of India
- India: Foreign Policy & Government Guide. International Business Publications. 1 May 2001. pp. 123–124, 130–131. ISBN 978-0-7397-8298-9. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "Mumbai attacks: the bureaucracy of India's marine commandos". The Guardian. 6 Dec 2008. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- "Deadly delay in calling the marine commandos". The Economic Times. 30 Nov 2008. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- "Garud: IAF's commando force takes off". Rediff. Press Trust of India. 6 Feb 2004. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- P. C. Katoch; Saikat Datta (2013). India's Special Forces: History and Future of Special Forces. Vij Books India Pvt Ltd. ISBN 978-93-82573-97-5.