Speed typing contest
In a speed typing contest contestants compete to attain the highest accurate typing speeds. These contests have been common in North America since the 1930s and were used to test the relative efficiency of typing with the Dvorak and QWERTY keyboard layouts.
As of 2012, Grace Pak (USA) held the world record of 280 character-per-minute for the fastest typing on a smart phone. Hank Torres (USA) as of 2012 held the world record for the fastest hands-free typing. Jorge Guevara (Argentina) (as of 2012) held the world record for the fastest typing on a smart phone in Spanish.
Malaysia began holding an annual contest in 2011. Each participant must pass a certain words per minute (WPM) to be eligible for the final live competition. The contest was jointly organized by team a students, JCI Mines and AYFIC Project. It receives support from Microsoft Malaysia, Malaysian Book of Records (MBR), Multimedia Development Corporation (MDeC), Multimedia IT Society, HYJ Wushu Academy and Blogmakeover, as well as various government agencies. The contest soft launched on 1 July 2011, including a press conference that received Chinese newspaper coverage.
The initial stage is open to all regardless of age. The 200 fastest entrants enter the final stage. Given a 5 minute time slot, participants can have unlimited 1-minute time trials keeping their best result.
The winner of the 2011 tournament was Shaun Low Foo Shern, with a speed of 146 words per minute.
- "Telenor to start qualifications for SMS speed typing contest". Telecompaper.com. October 21, 2010. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- "Country’s First Ultimate Typing Champion to be Crowned at SXSW Interactive". Enhanced Online News. March 8, 2010. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- "Contests - Winner of speed typing contest with prize typewriter". New York Public Library Digital Gallery. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- Lovejoy-Voss, Kim (March 28, 2008). "Typing contest teaches keyboard skills — needed even in the computer age". Catholic.org (News). Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- McCracken, Harry (April 5, 2010). "iPad vs. Laptop vs. Netbook vs. iPhone: Typing Test". PC World. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- Readings in Applied Microeconomics: The Power of the Market, Craig Newmark, p. 219 - 220
- Human Motor Control, David A. Rosenbaum, p. 305
- "For The Record - Grace Pak". Guinness World Records. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- "For The Record - Hank Torres". Guinness World Records. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- "For The Record - Jorge Guevara". Guinness World Records. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- AYFIC 2011 - ReSearch.com
- STC at Kuala Lumpur Innovation Forum (KLIF) | speedtypingcontest
- FAQ + About Us | speedtypingcontest