|Type of site||Broadband internet speed test|
|Available language(s)||English, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish, Indonesian, Polish, Portuguese, Swedish|
|Owner||Ookla Net Metrics|
|Alexa rank||423 (August 2012[update])|
Speedtest.net is a free broadband connection analysis website founded by Ookla Net Metrics in 2006. The company is based in Kalispell, Montana. Users can test their internet speed against hundreds of geographically dispersed servers around the world. At the end of each test, users are presented with their download (the speed of data from the server to their computer) and upload (the speed of sending data from the user's computer to the server) bandwidth speeds. The tests are performed completely within the user's web browser over HTTP (just like normal web browsing). Since its inception, over 4 billion speed tests have been completed. Speedtest.net hit the 4 billion mark on the 13th of November 2012 at approximately 9:55am GMT. 
The technology behind Speedtest.net is identical to that of the Ookla Speed Test which is provided to a wide variety of companies and organizations on a licensed basis. Speedtest.net Mini is a free stripped-down version of the speed test technology used on Speedtest.net that users can run on their own web server. Together, over 20 million speed tests are generated each month using Ookla's software.
|Top 10 Countries: Download Speed|
|2||South Korea||32.45 Mbit/s|
|Top 10 Countries: Upload Speed|
|1||South Korea||27.66 Mbit/s|
Speed Wave 
When speedtest.net was recently re-vamped, a new feature was added. This feature was called Speed Wave. Speed Wave allows users to create an account and begin a 'group' with friends who also have an account. Results can be compared and an average of all results is calculated. Badges are also awarded for achievements such as 'Highest Download Speed' and 'Lowest Latency'. The first Speed Wave in the UK was created by SpatmanNibos, who called it 'The Nibotters Speed Wave'.
- "Speedtest.net Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2012-08-02.
- Ookla home page
- "Broadband speeds around the world". BBC News. December 2, 2007. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- Greenop, Matt (July 27, 2007). "The truth about Kiwi broadband". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- Lane, Terry (June 24, 2007). "Hey Telstra, forget about broadband". The Age. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- Peterson, Kim (April 4, 2006). "Speakeasy founder leaves for new venture". The Seattle Times. Retrieved May 1, 2013.
- Ookla Net Metrics - Gallery
- Ookla Net Metrics - About
- "Net Index by Ookla - Household Download Index - All Countries". Netindex.com. February 11, 2012. Retrieved February 12, 2012.