Type of site
|Broadband internet speed test|
|Available in||English, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish, Indonesian, Polish, Portuguese, Swedish, Dutch|
|327 (June 2014[update])|
The service measures the bandwidth (speed) and latency of a visitor's Internet connection against one of many geographically dispersed servers located around the world. Each test measures the data rate for the download direction, i.e. from the server to the user computer, and the upload data rate, i.e. from the user's computer to the server. The tests are performed within the user's web browser using the HTTP protocol. As of 2015[update] since service inception, over 7 billion speed tests have been completed.
The owner and operator of Speedtest.net, Ookla, was established in 2006 by a small team of internet and technology veterans.
The technology of Speedtest.net is identical to that of Ookla NetGauge which is provided to a wide variety of companies and organizations on a licensed basis. Speedtest.net Mini is a free stripped-down version of the speed test technology used on Speedtest.net that users can run on their own web server. Together, over 20 million speed tests are generated each month using Ookla's software.
|Top 10 Countries: Download Speed|
|1||Hong Kong||75.13 Mbit/s|
|4||South Korea||53.85 Mbit/s|
|Top 10 Countries: Upload Speed|
|1||Hong Kong||65.62 Mbit/s|
|3||South Korea||45.71 Mbit/s|
The site offers a service by which groups of friends may compare results against each other and as a group average. Badges are also awarded for achievements such as Highest Download Speed and Lowest Latency.
- "Speedtest.net Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "Broadband speeds around the world". BBC News. December 2, 2007. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- Greenop, Matt (July 27, 2007). "The truth about Kiwi broadband". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- Lane, Terry (June 24, 2007). "Hey Telstra, forget about broadband". The Age. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- Ookla Net Metrics
- Ookla Net Metrics - About
- "Net Index by Ookla - Household Download Index - All Countries". Netindex.com. May 1, 2014. Retrieved May 1, 2014.