Spencer C. Tucker
|Spencer C. Tucker|
|Born||Spencer Coakley Tucker
September 20, 1937 
|Alma mater||Virginia Military Institute|
|Notable works||Encyclopedia of the Cold War|
Spencer C. Tucker is a Fulbright scholar, retired university professor and an award-winning author of works on military history. He taught history at Texas Christian University for 30 years, and held the John Biggs Chair in Military History at the Virginia Military Institute for six years. He has held the rank of U.S. Army colonel.
Tucker graduated from the Virginia Military Institute, earning a B.A. in 1959. He was awarded a Fulbright scholarship, which he used to study at the University of Bordeaux, France from 1959-60. Tucker went on to earn a master's degree (1962) and a doctorate degree (1966) in modern European history at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. From 1965-67, during the Vietnam War, Tucker was a Captain in the U.S. Army, and served as an intelligence analyst in the Office of the Assistant Chief of Staff for Intelligence.
Tucker taught history at Texas Christian University for thirty years, from 1967 through 1997; from 1992 through his departure in 1997, he was Chairman of the department. Tucker then went on to hold the John Biggs Chair in Military History at the Virginia Military Institute from 1997 to 2003 before retiring from teaching. By 2000, Tucker had earned the rank of Colonel in the U.S. Army. Tucker is now the Senior Fellow in Military History for ABC-CLIO.
Tucker is a prolific, award-winning author on military and naval history, and has written or edited at least 30 books in those subject areas. Tucker has received two John Lyman Book Awards from the North American Society for Oceanic History--in 1989, for Arming the Fleet, and 2000, for Andrew Foote: Civil War Admiral on Western Waters--and his Encyclopedia of the Cold War won the 2008 Society of Military History Award for best reference work. The Society for Military History created an award in Tucker's honor, the Spencer Tucker Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Military History.
- "Tucker, Spencer C. 1937- (Spencer Tucker, Spencer Coakley Tucker)". Contemporary Authors, New Revision Series. HighBeam Research. Retrieved May 21, 2012. (subscription required)
- Tucker, Spencer C., (editor) (2009). United States Leadership in Wartime -- Clashes, Controversy, and Compromise -- Vol. 2. ABC-CLIO. pp. vii.
- "The Civil War Naval Encyclopedia -- Author Info". ABC-CLIO. Retrieved May 21, 2012.
- "Spencer C. Tucker". Intercollegiate Studies Institute. Retrieved May 21, 2012.
- "CHAIRS: The John Biggs ’30 Cincinnati Chair in Military History". Virginia Military Institute. Retrieved May 21, 2012.
- "ABC-CLIO SPONSORS WINNERS OF SPENCER TUCKER AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN MILITARY HISTORY AND SOCIETY FOR MILITARY HISTORY RESEARCH GRANTS". ABC-CLIO. Retrieved May 21, 2012.
- Floyd, Burton R. (editor) (November 2000). "The Institute Report -- "Potpourri"". The Institute Report 28 (3): 6.
- "SPENCER C. TUCKER CHOSEN AS GUEST SPEAKER AT INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE COMMEMORATING THE 60TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE KOREAN WAR". ABC-CLIO. Retrieved May 21, 2012.