October 14, 1988 |
Lethbridge, AB, CAN
|Height||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Weight||182 lb (83 kg; 13 st 0 lb)|
|NHL Draft||67th overall, 2007
Machacek began his major junior career in 2005–06 with the Vancouver Giants of the Western Hockey League (WHL). He recorded 45 points in each of his first two seasons, playing an integral part in the Giants' 2006 President's Cup and 2007 Memorial Cup championships.
Ranked 54th among North American skaters by the Central Scouting Service at the mid-season mark of his draft year, Machacek was selected by the Atlanta Thrashers in the 3rd round, 67th overall, in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft. Machacek returned to the WHL and was named team captain of the Giants (replacing the departed Brett Festerling) at the start of the 2007–08 season. Former teammate Milan Lucic had originally been chosen as Fersterling's successor, but made the Boston Bruins roster out of training camp. As team captain, he recorded career highs with 33 goals and 78 points in 70 games and was named Player of the Month for February after going on a 27-point tear in 14 games.
At the end of the first round of the 2008 WHL playoffs, he signed his first NHL contract with the Thrashers on March 28, 2008. Reporting to the Thrashers' training camp for the 2008–09 season, he was assigned to the Chicago Wolves of the American Hockey League (AHL) on September 27. Late in the season, he was called up by the Thrashers and made his NHL debut on March 16, 2009, in a 5–1 win against the Washington Capitals recording 7 minutes and 21 seconds of playing time. Machacek played two games total for the Thrashers in his professional rookie season while recording 48 points in 77 games in the AHL.
During the inaugural 2011–12 season for the Winnipeg Jets, Machacek scored his first NHL goal on March 23, 2012 against Washington's Michal Neuvirth. He finished the season with the Jets posting a promising 9 points in 13 games.
In his first full season with Blue Jackets affiliate, the Springfield Falcons in the 2013–14 season, Machacek was again traded on February 6, 2014, to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for Paul Thompson.
- WHL Player of the Week - November 5–11, 2007
- WHL Player of the Month - February 2008
- 2010-11 Dan Snyder Man of the Year Award (Chicago Wolves)
|2011–12||St. John's IceCaps||AHL||61||18||32||50||48||11||0||7||7||12|
|2012–13||St. John's IceCaps||AHL||57||11||14||25||45||—||—||—||—||—|
- "Central Scouting Services Midterm Rankings - January 2007" (PDF). National Hockey League. Retrieved 2008-11-15.
- "Giants give 'C' to Machacek". The Province. Retrieved 2008-09-19.
- "Close friends Lucic, Machacek ready for life on opposite teams". The Province. 2009-09-23. Retrieved 2009-09-23.
- "Giants star is Mr. February in WHL". The Province. Retrieved 2008-09-19.
- Custance, Craig (2008). "Thrashers sign forward Machacek". Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Retrieved 2008-04-15.
- "Thrashers cut 7". Atlanta Thrashers. 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-27.
- "Blue Jackets acquire Spencer Machacek from Jets in exchange for Tomas Kubalik". Columbus Blue Jackets. 2013-03-10. Retrieved 2013-03-10.
- "Penguins trade Thompson to Blue Jackets for Machacek". The Sports Network. 2014-02-06. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "Panther pick Machacek" (in German). [Augsburger Panther]]. 2014-10-08. Retrieved 2014-10-07.
- "Giants captain gets WHL Player of the Week". The Province. Retrieved 2008-09-19.