|Born||Spencer William Pratt
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Years active||2005–10; 2013–present|
|Television||The Hills (2007–10)
I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! (2009)
Celebrity Big Brother (2013)
|Spouse(s)||Heidi Montag (m. 2009)|
|Relatives||Stephanie Pratt (sister)
Holly Montag (sister in-law}
Spencer William Pratt is a former American television personality. In 2007, he began dating Heidi Montag, a primary cast member of the reality television series The Hills. Subsequently, he came to prominence after being cast in the series. Their relationship ultimately ended Montag's friendship with fellow cast member Lauren Conrad. The ensuing feud between the three became the central focus of the series, and was carried through each subsequent season.
The couple, collectively nicknamed "Speidi", married in April 2009. Later that year, they made controversial appearances on the second season of the American version of I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!. In 2013, he and Montag competed as a single entity on the eleventh series of the British version of Celebrity Big Brother, eventually becoming the runner-ups.
Life and career
1983–2005: Early life and The Princes of Malibu
Spencer William Pratt was born on August 14, 1983 in Los Angeles, California. He is the elder sibling of his sister Stephanie, also a television personality. Pratt first appeared on television in 2005 in the short-lived reality series The Princes of Malibu. Pratt was also Creator & Executive Producer of the series, he acted in the role of "manager/publicist/agent/stylist" to series star Brody Jenner.
2007–10: The Hills
Pratt's friendship with Jenner led to his role on the MTV reality series The Hills, in 2006. Pratt's relationship with fellow cast member Heidi Montag was detailed on the series, along with the tension it caused between Montag and series star Lauren Conrad.
In April 2009, Pratt and Montag joined the cast of the reality television show, I'm a Celebrity... Get Me out of Here! Their behavior on the show was criticized as being childish and self-centered, and clouded by further controversy after Pratt's sister Stephanie claimed that NBC subjected the couple to torture (something the couple later denied). After four days, they quit the show. The couple then changed their mind and returned to the show after completing a challenge. However, they had to leave the show again shortly after returning because Montag had to be hospitalized due to a gastric ulcer.
In 2006, Pratt began dating Heidi Montag. In May 2007, Montag and Pratt announced their engagement. During The Hills season finale in December 2007, the couple broke off their engagement. On November 20, 2008, Montag and Pratt had a 15-minute marriage ceremony in Mexico with no family members present. Montag and Pratt married a second time on April 25, 2009 in Pasadena, California.
2010–present: Current endeavors
On June 8, 2010, Montag filed for legal separation from Pratt, listing irreconcilable differences as the reason for their separation. In an interview with People, Pratt said, "We love each other but I'm a famewhore and I'll never grow out of it. [Heidi] knows that and doesn't want that... I want every kind of press. She believes in bad press. There's no way my love for fame and her love for puppies will ever work out successfully. She just wants to hike and hang out and be calmer." However, the couple called off the divorce in September 2010, saying, "We are back together trying to make things work. We do love each other and realized we do want to spend the rest of our lives together."
In November 2010, Pratt filed for bankruptcy.
- Mike Celizic (June 16, 2009). "Al Roker weighs in on Speidi ‘attack’". MSNBC. NBCUniversal. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- "NBC executive not happy with Heidi, Spencer". MSNBC. NBCUniversal. June 4, 2009. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- Amsden, David. "Master of His Own Celebrity: Brody Jenner knows just who to screw to sit pretty on the B-list". Men.style.com.
- Norman, Pete (2007-08-09). "Heidi Montag 'Moving On' After Hills Feud". people.com. Retrieved 2009-06-07.
- Snead, Elizabeth (2009-04-20). "Ex American Idol Sanjaya joins cast of 'I'm a Celebrity... Get me out of here!'". latimes.com. Retrieved 2009-06-07.[dead link]
- Holmes, Linda (2009-06-09). "Spencer, Heidi jeopardize their fragile 'fame'". MSNBC.com. Retrieved 2009-06-09.
- Spencer Pratt (2009-06-08). "Heidi Pratt: Out of Hospital, Denies Being Tortured". E! Online. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- Vena, Jocelyn (2009-06-02). "Heidi Montag And Spencer Pratt Quit 'I'm A Celebrity'". mtv.com. Retrieved 2009-06-07.
- "Heidi Montag rushed to hospital after reality show challenge". The Money Times. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- Bretts, Bruce; Roush, Matt; (March 25, 2013). "Baddies to the Bone: The 60 nastiest villains of all time". TV Guide. pp. 14 - 15.
- "Spencer Pratt and Heidi Montag Engaged!". US Weekly. 2007-05-23. Archived from the original on 2007-05-25. Retrieved 2007-03-26.
- "Heidi and Spencer Get Married". ok.co.uk. 2008-11-24. Retrieved 2008-11-25.
- Boehm, Kristin (2008-11-24). "Report: Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt Elope". people.com. Retrieved 2008-11-25.
- Oh, Eunice (2009-04-20). "Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt to Get Married – Again". people.com. Retrieved 2009-04-22.
- Thomson, Katherine (2009-06-03). "Stephen Baldwin Baptizes Spencer Pratt (video)". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- "Spencer Pratt: 9/11 Was an "Inside Job"". usmagazine.com. 2009-07-01.
- "Heidi Montag Files For Legal Separation". TVGuide.com.
- "Pratt, Montag split over views on fame?". Digital Spy. July 19, 2010.
- "Heidi Montag, Spencer Pratt Burn Divorce Papers". Us Magazine. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- "Spencer Pratt arrested for firearm possession: Former reality star tweets 'Costa Rican jail smells like children's tears'". MSNBC.com. 2010-09-14. "I'm not allowed in the country anymore -- but that's because of the chicken incident."
- "Heidi Montag bankrupt". Sydney Morning Herald. 2010-11-04. Retrieved 2010-11-04.