Spencer Township, Medina County, Ohio
|Spencer Township, Medina County, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Medina County.
|• Total||25.2 sq mi (65.3 km2)|
|• Land||25.1 sq mi (65.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||928 ft (283 m)|
|• Density||96.8/sq mi (37.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086604|
Spencer Township is one of the seventeen townships of Medina County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 2,429 people in the township, 1,682 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the west part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Penfield Township, Lorain County - north
- Litchfield Township - northeast corner
- Chatham Township - east
- Harrisville Township - southeast corner
- Homer Township - south
- Sullivan Township, Ashland County - southwest corner
- Huntington Township, Lorain County - west
- Wellington Township, Lorain County - northwest corner
The village of Spencer is located in central Spencer Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Medina County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.