|Breeder||A. J. Alexander|
|Owner||1) Daniel Swigert
2) James R. Keene
|Sanford Stakes (1878)
Young America Stakes #1 (1878)
Young America Stakes #2 (1878)
Belmont Stakes (1879)
Lorillard Stakes (1879)
Jersey Derby (1879)
Champion Stakes (1879)
|American Co-Champion Two-Year-Old Colt (1878)|
Bred by A. J. Alexander and foaled at his Woodburn Stud, he was sired by the English-bred stallion, Australian, who was in turn the son of West Australian, England's first Triple Crown winner, out of Aerolite by Lexington. He was a brother to Fellowcraft and half brother to Addie C. (the dam of the Kentucky Derby winner Chant (by Falsetto). They were from the old American family number, A3.
He was undefeated for Swigert as a two-year-old and sold to James R. Keene for $15,000 (equal to about $370,000 today).
At three, trained by Col. Thomas Puryear, Spendthrift was sent east; finishing second to a stablemate in the Withers Stakes before going on to easily win the Belmont Stakes. He then won the Lorillard Stakes, after being kicked at the start. Then he won the Jersey Derby.
Spendthrift was retired as a five year old to the farm of William Kenney near Lexington, Kentucky. In all, his record stands as 16 starts, with 9 wins and 5 places.
He was sold by Keene in 1884 and spent some time first at Dr. E. M. Norwood's farm near Lexington, then Hartland Stud, then Spendthrift Stud, before ending up at Overton Chenault's farm.
Some of his outstanding progeny were
- Bankrupt-won 86 races from 348 starts
- Hastings-leading sire and sire of Fair Play (three times leading sire and sire of Man o' War and Chance Play).
- Kingston-had 138 starts and won a record 89 races, including 30 stakes-races, scoring the most victories of any Thoroughbred racehorse on record, for $139,652.
- Lamplighter-won $89,047, successful sire
Spendthrift-died of old age at 24, on October 21, 1900.
|West Australian (GB)
|Sister to Tuckahoe|
|Haxall's Moses mare (Family: A3)|
- Bloodlines: Spendthrift Retrieved 2010-9-2
- Montgomery, E. S. (1973). The Thoroughbred. New York: Arco. ISBN 0-668-02824-6.
- Ahnert, Rainer L. (editor in chief), Thoroughbred Breeding of the World, Pozdun Publishing, Germany, 1970