Sperm-mediated gene transfer
Sperm-mediated gene transfer, or SMGT, is a technique used to produce transgenic animals. Genetic material is introduced into sperm, which are used to fertilize eggs. The embryos are carried to term. The offspring may be transgenic, mosaic, or neither.
- Collection of sperm cells from many different members of the species
- Evaluation of fertility and ability to take up foreign DNA
- Removal of seminal fluid and mix with transgene
- transfer of sperm to recipient via artificial insemination
- Birth and molecular test of transgenic offspring
|This molecular biology article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|