|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Mirjam Salet (PvdA)|
|• Total||30.27 km2 (11.69 sq mi)|
|• Land||26.12 km2 (10.08 sq mi)|
|• Water||4.15 km2 (1.60 sq mi)|
|Elevation||−1 m (−3 ft)|
|Population (August 2013)|
|• Density||2,776/km2 (7,190/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Spijkenisse ( pronunciation (help·info)) is a town and municipality in the western Netherlands, in the province of South Holland. The municipality had a population of 72,499 in 2013, and covers an area of 30.27 km2 (11.69 sq mi) of which 4.15 km2 (1.60 sq mi) is water. It is part of the Rotterdam Metropolitan Area.
Archeological research has shown that the area around Spijkenisse has been inhabited for many thousands of years. The people then depended on fishing on the Meuse and hunting in the swamps.
The oldest reference to the name Spickenisse is from a source from 1231. This name comes from the words spieke (Spit (landform)) and nesse (nose) meaning "pointy nose" in reference to a spit of land protruding along the river.
Spijkenisse formed as a farmers and fishing village at a creek along the Oude Maas. Initially it belonged to the Lord of Putten (whose coat of arms is now used by the city) but in 1459 the fiefdom Putten, including Spijkenisse, was transferred to Philip III, Duke of Burgundy. In 1581 the area came under the control of the Count of Holland.
In the 16th century the village suffered several floods. In the 17th and 18th centuries it endured destructive fires which hampered its economic growth.
There are also several bus services operated by Connexxion.
- Afrojack (Nick van de Wall) (born 1987), DJ and producer
- Jan Campert (1902-1943), poet and writer
- Vato Gonzalez (Björn Franken) (born 1983), DJ and producer
- Medy van der Laan (born 1968), politician
- Emiel Mellaard (born 1966), athlete
- Sied van Riel (born 1978), DJ and producer
- Spinvis (Erik de Jong) (born 1961), artist
- "Burgemeester Mirjam Salet" [Mayor Mirjam Salet] (in Dutch). Gemeente Spijkeniss. Retrieved 24 August 2013.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- "Postcodetool for 3201EL". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 24 August 2013.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 24 September 2013. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- Gemeente Spijkenisse
- Spijkenisse Online - geschiedenis
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Spijkenisse.|
|Oude Maas / Albrandswaard|
|Bernisse||Spui / Oud-Beijerland|